• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New President Randy FCC handheld/mobile CB

Duckford

I've looked at a few reviews about it, looks like a great radio. if others in this thread indicate it is more "commercial' grade built, I might even consider one for the collection/loadout. Then again, it doesn't seem like it has many more features than my fancy CB HT, the Cobra 50 WX ST, which has channel scan, NOAA radio, instant 9 and 19, as well as a programmable "home" channel. The plastic does feel awfully cheap, and the belt clip is almost comical.

In some ways, I almost like my Uniden 401's better. Bought them for use around the property and whatnot, and the simplicity is nice for a simple "extra" radio to have around. I'll admit I like the simple aesthetic of the old fashioned red LED screen, as well.

For those of you who have one what range do you get?(including what terrain your operating it) Im definitely interested in one but it depends on range really for the price its going for.

FiveFilter

The range is dependent on the antenna and its ground plane / counterpoise. The longer the antenna, the longer the range, all things else being equal.

mrweather

Like any CB handie-talkie with the (usual) included duck antenna, the range is pretty poor. In my experience, 1/4-1/2 mile at best.

Older models ones with collapsible antennas (like old Radio Shack ones) would be better simply because the antenna is longer.

Duckford

Like any CB handie-talkie with the (usual) included duck antenna, the range is pretty poor. In my experience, 1/4-1/2 mile at best.

Older models ones with collapsible antennas (like old Radio Shack ones) would be better simply because the antenna is longer.

Beyond other factors like terrain, trees, and other obstacles, we always need to keep in mind what is the other antenna? HT to HT, yes, you can have some pretty difficult times reaching far with 10/11 meter rubber ducks.

But, HT to mobile whip? Rubber duck to base station? With one strong antenna, in LOS communications, you can greatly extend the usability of CB handhelds. The increased reception and output of the bigger antenna can make up a lot for the poor performance of the stub antenna, and this can play a factor in how well they can work. If two people have CB HT's and even if ONE of them have an extended antenna, you might be surprised how much you can increase distance.

I remember testing out my Tram 1/2 length antenna, in a test configuration four feet off the ground, with one of my HT's. Walked a 1/4 mile and had a large hill completely obscuring clean line of sight, many oak trees, and no signal strength lost at all. I was tired and quit for the day at that point, but still was impressed. I need to do a better test now that the weather is better.

KD8DVR

For those of you who have one what range do you get?(including what terrain your operating it) Im definitely interested in one but it depends on range really for the price its going for.
I'm still working on range tests to put in a review and video review. Hard to determine, since there is such low activity around here, even if i'm literally 100 feet from I-71

cwol97401

I just got one in the mail and ordered a cobra whip antenna to go with it but forgot to get the adapter. While I'm waiting for the adapter I played with the stock antenna. Seems to have about the same range and reception as others on the market but I did notice something interesting about president's ducky. The antenna appears to have its own counterpoise coil built in essentially making it a dipole. None of my other ducky antennas look like they have one and I haven't seen a dipole on an ht since the '90s realistic telescopic antennas. I work in road construction talking to truck traffic all day long, I'm kind of concerned about the battery life but I haven't had the chance to put it to the test.

mrweather

I don't think that's a counterpoise coil but a loading coil to give the antenna the needed 1/4 electrical wavelength while physically being much shorter.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
No SSB so won't get one of these. FM is a nice touch though. Had a cherokee years ago. Awesome handheld. Did some good skip with it.

KD8DVR

Mine is working fine. I bought one of those Abbree antennas, which extend the receive range. I don't have any transmit range estimates yet, due to lack of local traffic. I know I make it to the nearest interstate, which is 100 feet away, with only a soundwall between us. It's not an all day use radio.....the battery life isn't there. I can get 10 hours or so with no transmit. Expect less time with transmitter use. Transmit and receive audio is excellent. I haven't used it on my mobile antenna, so I can't compare it...yet...to my president andy ii mobile.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Just wish side band was on the radio. Would have been the ultimate hand held CB radio.

The radio’s quality — otherwise — is what make it desirable. You seriously think you’ll be chatting on Sideband with a rubber ducky?

Short battery life makes it a temporary-use device when away from 120V for very long. A few hours is far removed from days of use (car battery powered mobile). An RV with solar electric system is a pretty good use: Randy used as backup-base or walk-about a few hours.

FM (EU version) is “the missing piece”, IMO.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
I used to use my cherokee on side band and chat from minnesota to alaska without issues. Still have that that antenna. Nice to do some skip when conditions are right.