• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New President Randy FCC handheld/mobile CB

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know what type of external mic works with it? I didn't see any mention on the site, or the manual on the site.
I believe the Randy FCC has jacks that are "Kenwood" K1 style. Bell's CB (dot com) lists as an add-on option a custom special HT wired version of an Astatic Road Dog mic (powered). From the pictures it looks like he converts the mic cable into a 3.5mm jack (which can be further reduced to 2.5mm with an adapter for radios that may have that size mic input).

I looked at the large retail website, and someone said they used a RS mic, which uses the Icom pinout.

You would think that President would offer a mic as an accessory, or at least give the pinout. (I can understand not mentioning another company.)

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Just laying it on the dash works fine for listening.

You won’t hear very far.

Entertainment? Okay.

Distant warning? Not okay.

Antenna trumps radio by one or more factors.

A WILSON mag mount on the roof will do the job.

Wynterspop

You have used that on a Randy? That has a different pinout than I mentioned earlier.

Yep sure have. I’ve tried a two pin mic and it didn’t work.
A few months ago, I called President asking about a mic. The lady I talked to said they would be out soon and directed me to Walcott Radio.

E283F729-2631-4A4B-AD8E-36B3E0E1E642.jpeg

KC0QMG

I looked at the large retail website, and someone said they used a RS mic, which uses the Icom pinout.

You would think that President would offer a mic as an accessory, or at least give the pinout. (I can understand not mentioning another company.)
Google the model # ACMR405

sloop

A single mike is all well and good but when are they going to make a mike/speaker combo that will utilize both mike and speaker jacks on the radio? I am also waiting on the drop-in charger base they were to have by the end of June.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
A single mike is all well and good but when are they going to make a mike/speaker combo that will utilize both mike and speaker jacks on the radio? I am also waiting on the drop-in charger base they were to have by the end of June.

PRESIDENT LIBERTY microphone set for such for the McKinley and Lincoln models (among others). VOX-enabled for completely hands-free in a wireless mic.

No idea if it’d work with the Randy.

KC0QMG

I emailed President USA maybe a month ago and they said they have the US version of the drop-in charger available. I want to say direct from President (which I didn't know one could buy direct) it was ~$19.99 + S&H. They said it wasn't out to retailers yet and didn't give me a great idea as to when that might be. I held off on buying it for now.

If anyone wants that drop-in charger (US version) drop President USA a line and try your luck ...

krokus

Premium Subscriber
That would be accommodated by the mic I mentioned, in the below quote.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
On my 2 day trip to Colorado, 1st leg from Minnesota to rapid city, heard only one quick transmission on 19. 2nd leg was better. Once past Cheyenne going west on 80, lit up like a Christmas tree. Using the radio shack 27 MHz antenna and radio sitting in my cup holder on center console, was picking up folks a good ways away. On way back, will try antenna that came with it for comparison. So far, liking this handheld. Giving me the itch to get a base station for the house.