New pro 106 Best software

Status
Not open for further replies.

weisej

I own a pro 96 and used the win96 program wondering if the win500 is the best option for the pro 106 or if there was a free software for the pro 106?

hoser147

I believe most have a 30 day trial, as far as the "Best" your going to get different opinion's on that. Take em a test drive and see what it is that you like or dislike about them and make your decision based on what preforms the best and has the functions you prefer. Good Luck

SCPD

QRT
Either that or PSRedit is what I am using. there is also ARC by Butel. but from what I've read its still buggy as heck to use

qlajlu

Silent Key
I own a pro 96 and used the win96 program wondering if the win500 is the best option for the pro 106 or if there was a free software for the pro 106?

To my knowledge, there is no FREE software for the Pro-106/197 and GRE's PSR-500/600. I don't think you can go wrong with WIN500. There is an illustrated help file at WIN500 - Utah Radio to help new users get started using it. Since you are experienced with Win96, you shouldn't have any problems.

This article in the RR Wiki tells you which software choices you have.

cfr301

Either that or PSRedit is what I am using. there is also ARC by Butel. but from what I've read its still buggy as heck to use

I'm not sure thats a fair assessment of ARC 500, I just got into digital scanner and trunking a few months back I've had analog everything since the bearcat hit the market many decades ago. A good friend set me up with ARC 500 and I was glad he did, it got me through those rough few weeks of learning how to program, I've read on this forum how win 500 is the greatest thing since spam so I now have a registered copy of both ARC 500 & WIN 500, I think learning both was educational and I think both have their positive and not so positive points. To me editing in ARC 500 is a bit easier than Win500 as an example.

My point here is the three major softwares for the GRE type radios all have a trial period shop around see what works best for you.

Rick ;)

Last edited:

bama9999

I've used both PSRedit and Win500, and both of them are super programs. I found both to be extremely userfriendly and only took a few minutes to feel quite comfortable using either one. One thing I do like better about PSRedit in the remote control program. It runs seperate from the programming software, and has a bigger virtual scanner display option, which is super clear and easy to read from a good distance from the computer. Win500 also has remote control capabilities that work very well, as well as having some really nice features. One of which is it's ability to add new talkgroups to a TSYS by having a box checked, and it won't automatically save a ctcss tone on an analog frequency when it's checked. Having autostore checked on PSRedit resulted in it not only adding the talkgroup to the TSYS, but it would automatically save whatever ctcss/dcs tone that happened to pop up on an analog freq, which wasn't good when more than one location used the same frequency, and you are searching for the tone for your local agency and it happens to auto program the tone for some distant one that comes in on the same freq.

As said by someone earlier, the best thing is to give all three a try. Each one can be used fully functional for 30 days, thereby giving you plenty of time to decide what's best for you.

weisej

Ok I got my pro 106 all most set up how I would like it all but one thing... How do you set it up too receive talk-groups not yet programed in the scanner. I own a pro 96 also and so i know im not receiving new talk groups like I do with my pro 96 in open mode.

qlajlu

Silent Key
Ok I got my pro 106 all most set up how I would like it all but one thing... How do you set it up too receive talk-groups not yet programed in the scanner. I own a pro 96 also and so i know im not receiving new talk groups like I do with my pro 96 in open mode.

Are you using programming software? If so, which one?

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Best Software? In alphabetical order I have license for ARC500, PSREdit, ScanControl and Win500.

All have everything offered by the scanner but only ScanControl and Win500 offer logging and recording during remote operations,

PSREdit and ARC500 have only display and functioning of the buttons during remote operations. PSREdit does have auto store during remote but ARC does not.

In remote, ScanControl has a live logging window with scroll bars for overflow. Saving logged data is at users discretion in txt or CSV format or both. Though to me, this is not the best software due main editing window size can not be changed thus the user must use vertical and horizontal scroll bars to edit all data. It also uses a unique Data Grabber to import from RR (copy/paste). I prefer Web Import.

Win500 is the best for editing data and it too will save data in remote ops at user discretion. One can mouse select a TSYS and edit all data for that TSYS using only vertical scroll bar, this includes copy/paste for editing. PSREdit and ARC does this well also.

I don't have or ever intend to have a license for ScanCat software.

One other thing about Win500, it will Import all data from Win96 or Win97 files.

qlajlu

Silent Key

Yes im using win500 and I live in MI.

What you are asking is rather complicated and a little hard to explain in a post or twelve. :D

fmon has told you that you can import your Pro-96 files into WIN500 and with a little editing you can be up an running shortly. There is also an illustrated help file at WIN500 - UtahRadio.org that is geared for those who have a Premium Membership but also gives enough information that you can program without the Premium Membership using WIN500. You will just have to read the help file a little more deeply. :wink:

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
weisej apparently settled on Win500.

Due to my previous post, glajlu sent me and email asking if other software will import additional talkgroup objects to an existing TSYS? Win500 will as he pointed to a thread where he advised a user on method...it's very simple. I had never tried this on any software so ran a check on each.

PSR and ARC both require selecting at least one site to import. PSR will not allow the Import System to ungray until a site is selected, ARC will pop up and error warning to select a site. Folks, ya already have sites in the TSYS. :confused: What's gonna happen with the additional selection?

ScanControl will data grab additional talkgroups but has serious problems in talkgroup selection, e.g., user must highlight the group header then continue holding left mouse down highlighting to desired talkgroup but this includes those groups above the target talkgroup. So all highlighted and copied will be pasted. :confused: Plus, user must first set a new object for TSYS listing in the software. . More :confused:

Last edited:

mikey60

weisej apparently settled on Win500.

Due to my previous post, glajlu sent me and email asking if other software will import additional talkgroup objects to an existing TSYS? Win500 will as he pointed to a thread where he advised a user on method...it's very simple. I had never tried this on any software so ran a check on each.

PSR and ARC both require selecting at least one site to import. PSR will not allow the Import System to ungray until a site is selected, ARC will pop up and error warning to select a site. Folks, ya already have sites in the TSYS. :confused: What's gonna happen with the additional selection?

The issue here is that there's no sure fire way to know which TSYS in your configuration is the correct one in the scanner's file format. What I've done in the past when I want to add talkgroups to an existing system was to import the system into a new TSYS, selecting one site (it doesn't matter which one) and the talkgroups I want to import.

Once the import is complete, I switch to the imported TSYS, select all talkgroups, and then move them into the existing system and delete the imported TSYS.

Mike

DonS

The issue here is that there's no sure fire way to know which TSYS in your configuration is the correct one in the scanner's file format.
The ObjectID of the existing TSYS seems to work quite well.
What I've done in the past when I want to add talkgroups to an existing system was to import the system into a new TSYS, selecting one site (it doesn't matter which one) and the talkgroups I want to import.

Once the import is complete, I switch to the imported TSYS, select all talkgroups, and then move them into the existing system and delete the imported TSYS.
That procedure will usually* work, but it was something that another poster specifically wanted to avoid.

* "usually": it may not work if your scanner data file is already close to "full" (e.g. you've already used 1840 blocks and want to import 10 new talkgroups into an existing Mot system).

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
The issue here is that there's no sure fire way to know which TSYS in your configuration is the correct one in the scanner's file format. What I've done in the past when I want to add talkgroups to an existing system was to import the system into a new TSYS, selecting one site (it doesn't matter which one) and the talkgroups I want to import.

Mike
Mike,
Can you place an entry box to identify TSYS object ID # in TSYS Object Editor dialog? If so, can the user type this number in System Import area instead of using a site to ungray the System Import bar? Then user can select scanlist first then import system ready to load to scanner.

BTW, I like the grayed out System Import until user is ready for such. :cool:

mikey60

Mike,
Can you place an entry box to identify TSYS object ID # in TSYS Object Editor dialog? If so, can the user type this number in System Import area instead of using a site to ungray the System Import bar? Then user can select scanlist first then import system ready to load to scanner.

BTW, I like the grayed out System Import until user is ready for such. :cool:

Yep, I was just trying to figure out a good way to do that within the current design. It would depend on the user to select the correct system to import the talkgroups. I'm working on another aspect of the program right now, but this is on my list.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.