Pro-668: New Pro-668 "CPU Update" link on Radio Shack website

Status
Not open for further replies.

trp2525

I was just on the Pro-668 webpage on the Radio Shack website (https://www.radioshack.com/products...n-digital-trunking-scanner?variant=5717075397) and I noticed that there is now a "CPU Update" link there under "Downloadable Content." This is very new because I check this page regularly for any updates/changes and this has just recently appeared.

When you click on the download link (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0953/5270/files/PRO668.exe?14204073518063566193) it actually downloads "PRO668.exe" which is the PC application software that you would need on your computer to update the CPU and DSP firmware of the Pro-668. The downloaded file version is 1.9.5.305 which I believe is the initial/original release version of this software. The most current PRO668.exe version is 2.5.0.357 which you can get to by updating the downloaded file posted on the Radio Shack website.

If nothing else it shows that someone is actually updating the Radio Shack website at this time with files for our scanners. Granted this file is probably not useful to most of us that already have everything up-to-date with our Pro-668s but it may be useful to someone who needs the file in order to update their scanner.

dstew67

Premium Subscriber
Mine tells me I have the latest CPU firmware (2.4), and DSP firmware (1.3). I even downloaded the .exe from the link above, which only started the PC application that was already installed on my PC, then checked for an update. It tells me there is nothing new available.

Were you able to successfully update to a CPU firmware that is newer than 2.4?

trp2525

Mine tells me I have the latest CPU firmware (2.4), and DSP firmware (1.3). I even downloaded the .exe from the link above, which only started the PC application that was already installed on my PC, then checked for an update. It tells me there is nothing new available.

Were you able to successfully update to a CPU firmware that is newer than 2.4?

The latest versions currently available for the Pro-668 (as of today 07-17-2016) are as follows:

PC Application: 2.5 Bld 357
CPU Firmware: 2.4
DSP Firmware: 1.3
Library Database: 477
Location Database: 10

dstew67

Premium Subscriber
The latest versions currently available for the Pro-668 (as of today 07-17-2016) are as follows:

PC Application: 2.5 Bld 357
CPU Firmware: 2.4
DSP Firmware: 1.3
Library Database: 477
Location Database: 10

Right. So how is this an update, given this CPU firmware version is from December 2015? Am I missing something?

trp2525

Right. So how is this an update, given this CPU firmware version is from December 2015? Am I missing something?

Actually CPU Firmware version 2.4 was released on June 04, 2015 and not in December 2015. Regarding "So how is this an update?" you will have to check with Radio Shack as to why they recently posted this "CPU Update" link on their Pro-668 webpage with no new updates currently available for the Pro-668. Radio Shack Customer Care can be reached at 1-800-843-7422 or by email at Customer.Care@RadioShack.com. Please post any information that you may receive.

wbswetnam

It's an interesting, if somewhat useless, development. It may give hope to those who are pining for the DMR update for their Pro-668s. Although I still think that it is doubtful that it will ever occur, just in case, I will be patient and wait until Independence Day of next year. If by July 4, 2017 there is still no DMR update then I guess that I will sell my Pro-668 and invest in a Whistler TRX-1... it might be time for an upgrade anyway.

dstew67

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I'm, not holding my breath. I bought the thing knowing it didn't decode DMR, and I can't see making a big deal if they don't update it. I've only been marginally happy with it. It works better for some systems than for others. I bought the two updates for my Uniden BCD436HP, so I'm set and it seems to be better for what I need.

wbswetnam

The Pro-668 has actually grown on me, especially after I figured out how to create playlists and lock out the service lists that came on automatically. When you master it, it is a powerful scanner. I don't understand all of the haters who ... oohhh, never mind.

dstew67

Premium Subscriber
The Pro-668 has actually grown on me, especially after I figured out how to create playlists and lock out the service lists that came on automatically. When you master it, it is a powerful scanner. I don't understand all of the haters who ... oohhh, never mind.

Oh, I'm not one of those haters! The Pro-668 definitely has a place, and I do use it for things that I either can't use other receivers for, or simply would rather not use other receivers for. It has advantages. But the same could be said for my BCD436HD. They're different. The 436 just works better for where I am and what I do with it. If I end up moving, that could all change.

Haley

I have and use both, they both defintly have certain areas they excel in. The 668 (GRE/Whistler/RS scanners) for example, has the best sounding speaker I have ever heard on a HH scanner. While the 436 display has so much information , some say TOO much, but I like it. Heck, some days , I like one better than the other. It's gotten a bit ridiculous-----each vying to be my favorite! Some days , I put them away and get the "Warhorse" out, the trusty 396xt. Just to take a break from how great they both are. Anyway, trying to add a bit of humor, Mike

Haley

After reading my previous post 12 hours later, I apologize , I must have forgot what forum and the orginal post were about. This is not a normal behavior for me, again apologize. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.