New Pro106 now scans ultra slow, receives nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

840quadra

Greetings,

My less than 2 week old Pro 106 has really started to show it's age. Intermittently the scanner would slow down and stop receiving any traffic. This usually went away after powering it back off, and on, but now it is stuck in an ultra slow scan, and won't even pick up my 2M Mobile rig transmitting at 10 Watts nearby.

Absolutely no setting has been modified on this, the scanner (while working fine) simply slowed way down, and stopped receiving anything. I have swapped in other fresh batteries, and still have the exact same problem.

I plan on exchanging it, but wanted to know if this is a common problem with these, and if I should just get a different model?

Since day 1 it hasn't really worked correctly, and I don't want to get back into one that will also have an early failure.

Thanks!

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Greetings,

My less than 2 week old Pro 106 has really started to show it's age. Intermittently the scanner would slow down and stop receiving any traffic. This usually went away after powering it back off, and on, but now it is stuck in an ultra slow scan, and won't even pick up my 2M Mobile rig transmitting at 10 Watts nearby.

Absolutely no setting has been modified on this, the scanner (while working fine) simply slowed way down, and stopped receiving anything. I have swapped in other fresh batteries, and still have the exact same problem.

I plan on exchanging it, but wanted to know if this is a common problem with these, and if I should just get a different model?

Since day 1 it hasn't really worked correctly, and I don't want to get back into one that will also have an early failure.

Thanks!

First one I have heard of having this problem. How close is the 2M antenna and how much do you transmit?

W6KRU

I have a PSR-500 which is the same radio with a different badge. Sometimes it slows way down. This can always be fixed by setting the squelch to a proper level. Give that a check first. It tends to get turned down to a low level when the radio's volume is changed or powered off and back on.

840quadra

First one I have heard of having this problem. How close is the 2M antenna and how much do you transmit?

Thanks for the reply,

I transmitted on a few simplex frequencies, at various distances and power levels (including my THF6a at all power levels). It is also not receiving any of my FRS radios, or any other traffic that it should in the area.

I have read that some have had solder joint issues, but I am not about to take it apart to investigate it. Just was curious if it was a known problem, which it sounds like I am in a unique situation.

I have a PSR-500 which is the same radio with a different badge. Sometimes it slows way down. This can always be fixed by setting the squelch to a proper level. Give that a check first. It tends to get turned down to a low level when the radio's volume is changed or powered off and back on.

Thanks for the suggestion on squelch. I did try that too with no success.

The scanner also is slow in search, and simply doesn't scan automatically in signal stalker mode either. I am out of things I can test at this point.

Last edited:

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
In the past, I have found that even transmitting on a low power FRS radio in close proximity of the scanner will over the receiver and it will not pick up even when scanning or locked on the exact frequency. Also if the scanner is set to also scan for CTCSS (PL) tones, that can slow the scanning speed. Modern scanners built by GRE, which builds this RS scanner, are sensitive to near by transmitters (AM, FM, or TV Broadcast), Paging, and others.

840quadra

Great points on all.

I could not receive 162.55 MHz, or any other frequency it usually picked up in my area It is acting like it has a non functional receiver, or a slow processor when it comes to scanning.

It would do this a few times prior to tonight, and a simple power cycle would cure it. Now, it simply won't receive anything that nearby radios pick up fine, and scan operations are slow to the point of it being on a frequency for 2 seconds before moving to the next.

I honestly think something is wrong internally at this point.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Great points on all.

I could not receive 162.55 MHz, or any other frequency it usually picked up in my area It is acting like it has a non functional receiver, or a slow processor when it comes to scanning.

It would do this a few times prior to tonight, and a simple power cycle would cure it. Now, it simply won't receive anything that nearby radios pick up fine, and scan operations are slow to the point of it being on a frequency for 2 seconds before moving to the next.

I honestly think something is wrong internally at this point.

Agreed, time to exchange

rwier

I have a PSR-500 which is the same radio with a different badge. Sometimes it slows way down. This can always be fixed by setting the squelch to a proper level. .............

Absolutely! If you are scanning any conventional/analogue, turn the squelch ring, clockwise (as viewed from above), until that speed jumps up! If you are scanning Trunk/Digital only, temporarily open a conventional/analogue System/Department/frequency, and set the squelch as above. Now turn the conventional/analogue back off and scan your Trunk/Digital. Crazy guy here claims it makes his/my Trunk/Digital scanning work better.

Thanks
Rob

840quadra

Well after a long and frustrating discussion with the employees at Radio Shack, I was able to exchange the radio for a new one.

They had told me that it was impossible to program these radios without a computer, and that I was likely at fault for the issue due to a mistake on my part. I was fully willing to accept that as being possible, but that didn't explain the radio having worked fine, and suddenly stopping on it's own.

Regardless, after they cloned my old radio with a known good image, It was confirmed (to them) to be a hardware issue.

The new radio is working great so far, after manually entering the talk groups into the radio by hand, which is impossible I am told.

Thanks again for your assistance, I am again scanning my local P25 frequencies at full speed.

Tryton

They had told me that it was impossible to program these radios without a computer, and that I was likely at fault for the issue due to a mistake on my part. I was fully willing to accept that as being possible, but that didn't explain the radio having worked fine, and suddenly stopping on it's own.

So sad the state of "Phone Shack" Nowadays. I went in their the other day and the guy "Kid" had no idea they sold a digital scanner lol. Thank god I knew what I was buying.. I feel sorry for folks that just want to hear police and go their..

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well after a long and frustrating discussion with the employees at Radio Shack, I was able to exchange the radio for a new one.

Regardless, after they cloned my old radio with a known good image, It was confirmed (to them) to be a hardware issue.

The new radio is working great so far, after manually entering the talk groups into the radio by hand, which is impossible I am told.

Thanks again for your assistance, I am again scanning my local P25 frequencies at full speed.

I think what the r/s employees may have meant was that it's impossible for THEM to program with out a pc! (injecting sarcasm here) :D
Also, NEVER let r/s people program anything for you...not even your phone.
I suggest taking it back for a FULL refund and order another online. I've had my pro-197 for over a year now, and would never part with it!

n9zas

840quadra

They didn't end up doing any programming on my current scanner, they simply cloned the old one to an image they had in store, to "verify" it wasn't my lack of ability that caused it to not receive anything.

Some day I may get a programming cable, but for now, entering by hand is working fine for me now, has worked for all my HAM equipment, this is no harder.

Thanks again for the support and replies. Great community so far over here :) .

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
I think what the r/s employees may have meant was that it's impossible for THEM to program with out a pc! (injecting sarcasm here) :D
Also, NEVER let r/s people program anything for you...not even your phone.
I suggest taking it back for a FULL refund and order another online. I've had my pro-197 for over a year now, and would never part with it!

n9zas

Well then, I guess you would not let me, or the many Radio Shack people on this list, program your radio either.

Why would he need to get a full refund and order another on line? They replaced the radio in the store and he cloned the new radio from his old one.

BTW, we do not "Program" cell phones. They are now "Programed" over the air by the service provider.

840quadra

Well then, I guess you would not let me, or the many Radio Shack people on this list, program your radio either.

Why would he need to get a full refund and order another on line? They replaced the radio in the store and he cloned the new radio from his old one.

BTW, we do not "Program" cell phones. They are now "Programed" over the air by the service provider.

To clarify, my gripe is not with Radio Shack employees in general. I have had a history with the individual with which I did the exchange with in the past. A very condescending individual, who does not represent the company well at all.

Sadly, this individual also didn't understand the return policy of the company either, I had to resort to quoting the back of my receipt in order to not get charged for the price difference between when I purchased my radio, and last night (well within the prescribed return policy).

That was the first time in my life that I have ever been asked to pay the difference in price, for a defective product I was exchanging.

Overall, I am happy we have a Radio Shack in our town, and don't want to see the company go away!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

You may very well have a reputable store, maybe even with knowledgeable sales reps BUT your store would be one of very darn few.
I've been in many of tandy's stores and they are all lacking sound management skill, trained employees and most are not even familiar with catalog numbers listed on their own website.
I have seen "returns" brought back to a r/s outlet, only to be resold as NEW unbeknownst to the customer, which is why I suggested purchasing his pro-197 online as I have. I won't even start my rant about the marketing department,lol!
I'm glad there still may be a r/s outlet with some scruples! ;)
Congrats...
Now that we've succeeded in getting the op's post so far off topic, I appologize!

n9zas

Last edited:

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Seriously 840quadra, it's so much easier, and faster to do it by computer, you would almost have to be into self torture to keep doing it manually. Not to mention saving wear on the keypad, a part that isn't exactly going to last all that long if you are hitting the buttons all the time. I have replaced keypads on many of the scanners, of all makes, along with some HT's over the years, so less usage is a positive thing in itself.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Seriously 840quadra, it's so much easier, and faster to do it by computer, you would almost have to be into self torture to keep doing it manually. Not to mention saving wear on the keypad, a part that isn't exactly going to last all that long if you are hitting the buttons all the time. I have replaced keypads on many of the scanners, of all makes, along with some HT's over the years, so less usage is a positive thing in itself.

I would have to agree with that! Not to mention you could share your files with others to diagnose problems, and they could share them with you(So you could get ideas for programming it better.)

And if that's not enough, having a back-up in case you erase everything/mess-up is invaluable.

840quadra

I intend to get a cable eventually so don't worry. I am a strong believer of getting to know a device before switching to computer to make things too easy.

Thanks again for the continued advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.