New Prolific USB-to-Serial Driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I have Windows 7 64 bit and Microsoft's Update Notification System is telling me I need to down load "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port" along with things like Bing Desktop etc.

Any know anything about this?

I normally will NOT download any drivers from Microsoft just updates to Windows.

SCPD

QRT
Yes these are normal updates. Just right-click on the update and choose HIDE if you want to avoid seeing it. I do that with all Bing products.

Sometimes WU doesn't detect the correct version of what's installed on your system. It may ask to update with an older driver. This is due to the way in which the vendor delivers the update package to Microsoft.

You can download the latest Prolific driver from their website:

Products

The latest Win7/Win8 certified driver is: Windows Vista/7/8/8.1 (32 & 64-bit) WDF WHQL Driver: v3.4.62.293 (10/17/2013)

Last edited:

rbm

I have Windows 7 64 bit and Microsoft's Update Notification System is telling me I need to down load "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port" along with things like Bing Desktop etc.

Any know anything about this?

I normally will NOT download any drivers from Microsoft just updates to Windows.

Be very careful with that Prolific update.

It's intended to cause anything other than 'official' Prolific hardware to STOP operating.

Refer to this thread to get an idea of what it may do to you if you don't have 'official' Prolific hardware.
http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/239085-warning-new-prolific-drivers-win-7-a.html

And this post in another thread.
http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/98215-before-you-buy-usb-1-cable-2.html#post1745109

Rich

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Guys!

Now that I know it is a real update (not bogus) but may have issues I have decided to not to use it since I am not having any problems.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I don't know how helpful this will be for you, but on my Windows 8 machine (Dell with 64 bit processor), I'm using the Prolific PL2303_prolific_driverInstaller_1.8.0 file dated 2/26/2013. (I had to re-install everything last month due to a new computer).

I re-programmed a 396XT about a week ago.

(My set-up uses the Plugable 232 to USB cable with the HXD chipset).

Status
Not open for further replies.