New ProVoice Scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WCRadioGuy

I have heard that there is a scanner on the market (or soon will be) that will decode ProVoice Digital. I've heard that it is about $1000. I spoke with someone earlier today that claims to have heard PV audio on a scanner from a local PD.

Does anyone have any info? If a scanner can do it, it would be BC.

WCRadioGuy

Thanks, but this is all from 2006. Is there anything new from 2008? This just tells me that in 2006 the answer was no. I just heard today that there may be.

Here we go again. It would be nice to hear my county again. But I'm not holding my breath. But at 1k I think I'll just go without.

Last edited:

WCRadioGuy

There is no here we go again!! I am a M/A-Com provider and am just trying to get a straight answer. The link above is from 2006, this is 2008. See the time difference? My source at M/A-Com think he has possibly heard there is one as well. Nothing wrong in asking people here as scanner geeks have more inside insight in scanners.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
There is no here we go again!! I am a M/A-Com provider and am just trying to get a straight answer. The link above is from 2006, this is 2008. See the time difference? My source at M/A-Com think he has possibly heard there is one as well. Nothing wrong in asking people here as scanner geeks have more inside insight in scanners.

Straightest answer I can give you is that there is no "official" ProVoice scanner out there, but scanners have been used as an input to a MA/Com radio for decoding. See this article in the wiki for details: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Digital_Voice_Conversion_Method

-AZ

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
My source at M/A-Com think he has possibly heard there is one as well.

Your source and the rumormill is wrong. There is no scanner, and until M/A-Com allows a manufacturer to make one, there won't be.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Well, I was going to post a new thread, but I saw this one... so I guess it'll fit in here. We are going to a Pro-voice- P25 system in Harrisonburg/ Rockingham County, VA. Yes, I'm still confused about the Pro-voice P25 combination. Chris Sarantos, a sales manager with M/A-COM was quoted in our local paper (the Daily News Record) as saying there is nothing preventing scanner manufacturers from developing a Provoice capable scanner. It was stated he spoke of supply and demand.

Here's the link:
http://www.dailynews-record.com/news_details.php?AID=29900&CHID=1

I hate to ask if M/A-COM is just playing their cards, or the age old question of if there will ever be a Provoice scanner (I'm under the understanding absolutely not), but it seems like this comment opens up a can of worms and questions their integrity if he is not being honest. Or it could have been sloppy reporting :)

I have a PSR-500 (absolutely nothing against Uniden), and have posed the question to GRE's support team. I thought maybe I could get some opinions on Uniden's thread as well... and maybe UPman would catch it and provide some insight.

Thanks,
Todd

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
ProVoice sales people have sold their system to users on the fact that they would never release their standards like the open P25, so scanners would never be legally sold...

Status
Not open for further replies.