New PSR 310/410

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD4JAF

Programming

Would someone be kind enough to explain the programming process of the 310/410 series scanners. I have always owned Uniden scanners and I'm custom to their way. Recently I have been very thankful for all the post on these 2 scanners and convienced to purchase one or both, but before I do, would appreciate a break down of the process vs Uniden.

Friend at work advised me that GRE's are very different from Uniden's ? Thank you in advance for all your kind postings and knowledge. I learn alot from reading your posts.

SCPD

QRT
Yep, I was in this boat a year or so ago when the 310 came out. I was coming from Uniden and trying out the GRE.

Basically, the GRE has memory that is not sorted by banks. It's global. So you can scan trunk TGIDs in the same group as a conventional system. You can't do this with Uniden.

An example would be montioring all LE activities in a single group. So you could have CONV State and Trunked Police in the same grouping of channels -- and then scan this "bank" only.

For trunking systems, the GRE scanners store the SITE info into a specific memory which can be recalled later. When you want to scan a specific TGID then you just specific the site(s). So you can have TGIDs from multiple systems in the same bank.

You can also monitoring just the trunking channel and then you'll 'search' for new TGIDs.

Personally, it was hard for me to change over to the GRE-way of thinking. I can see that it might be beneficial in some aspects but the programming is much easier on the Undien, imho. The GRE has some odd quirks about its style. Also it's hard to beat the small portable aspect of the 346/396 versus the GRE scanners. Yes they have the 800 now but it doesn't have a keypad. ;)

If you're comfortable with the Uniden method, then I would stick with it.

PS. I only had the 310 for a couple of months so my above recollection was all from memory. If something is not accurate above, I'm sure the GRE owners will chime in.

Last edited:

scma127

Premium Subscriber
psr 310/410

hello to all i like both radio but one thing cannot makemy mind up which on to buythehandheld are the base i like the 410 it works better than my 996t you can program it and it with automatic pick the pl dcs are p25 tone nac where can i buy one off tghese radios for a good price help later

eagleswings01

Hi KD4JAF,

I'm not sure if you're looking for the exact process, but here is a post that someone did for me when I was first learning the 310:

TO PROGRAM BY HAND:
PUSH PGM > New > Conv > Select (hit more than once if needed to put a * in front of scanlist 01.) Arrow down, and enter a frequency. Either hit DONE, or Enter > Save.

I have several scan lists set up for different areas - such as the Colorado Springs Airport (list 1), the Air Force Academy frequencies (list 2), etc. Please let me know if that helps!

Take care,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.