New PSR500 user dumb newbie question on fleet maps--please don't hurt me

Status
Not open for further replies.

raisindot

Apologies in advance for this really newbie question and apologies for not spending a week going through every page of the manual before asking.

I've only had my PSR500 for a day or so. I used the Win95-96 converter program to convert my old Pro-95 Win95 files to be able to be imported through Win500, which it seemed to do fine.

The conventional channels came in fine, but it also imported my old 800 MHz Motorola Massachusetts state police trunking setups (these are analog, not digital), some of which used fleet map designations that I got from the web. It's unclear to my limited technical knowledge of the PSR500 manual about how one programs fleet maps with it--or whether one needs to anymore? At the moment, I'm not getting any "signals" from the imported talkgroups, so I assume that I did something wrong, since my Pro 95 is still getting them in. I'll spend more time on this this weekend, but I was hoping I might get this question out and get an answer before I totally mess everything up with it. If I need to program these talkgroups, etc. that's perfectly fine with me. Just to want to make sure I'm not missing anything here.

Thanks in advance.

Suzie

raisindot

raisindot said:
Apologies in advance for this really newbie question and apologies for not spending a week going through every page of the manual before asking.

The conventional channels came in fine, but it also imported my old 800 MHz Motorola Massachusetts state police trunking setups (these are analog, not digital), some of which used fleet map designations that I got from the web. It's unclear to my limited technical knowledge of the PSR500 manual about how one programs fleet maps with it--or whether one needs to anymore?
Suzie

Nevermind--Dug deeper into Win500 and found the Fleetmap and got trunking working for the MA state police at least. I tell you, the multi-light LED and the flashing alarm display are amazing!

Suzie

Swipesy

raisindot said:
I tell you, the multi-light LED and the flashing alarm display are amazing!

Suzie

Try putting the scanner on your night stand at night with the lights off. Those LED's will blind you, lol. You need to run in stealth at night or change the intensity. It is a very nice feature though.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Swipesy said:
Try putting the scanner on your night stand at night with the lights off. Those LED's will blind you, lol. You need to run in stealth at night or change the intensity. It is a very nice feature though.

No kidding! The bright blue one went off in my pickup at night and I was scared I'd get pulled over.

Those LED's are programmed pretty simply. Values of 3F or 6F are a huge improvement over the FF that they come set at.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
raisindot said:
The conventional channels came in fine, but it also imported my old 800 MHz Motorola Massachusetts state police trunking setups (these are analog, not digital), some of which used fleet map designations that I got from the web. It's unclear to my limited technical knowledge of the PSR500 manual about how one programs fleet maps with it--or whether one needs to anymore? At the moment, I'm not getting any "signals" from the imported talkgroups, so I assume that I did something wrong, since my Pro 95 is still getting them in.

Suzie

Which trunk systems in Ma. still require a fleet map?

jimw5401

n4jri said:
No kidding! The bright blue one went off in my pickup at night and I was scared I'd get pulled over.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

The bright blue LED started up while I was driving at night, and all of the cars in front of me pulled over to let me by!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.