New purchase advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikedog123

Hello I'm new here. I am planning to buy a digital scanner soon and I am considering the following: BCD436HP , or SDS100. My local system (Tippecanoe county, Indiana) is a digital P25 system, but has some volunteer EMS that are analog. I would like this scanner to provide me with service for a few years. I don't know if my system is simulcast, or planning to use it. I guess my question is, will the 436 be a good choice or should I just spring for the sds100? The cost, as you know, is about $150 difference.

I like the AAA batteries of the 436, but I like the charge while using of the SDS100.
Both look like they will cover my area well.
The SDS 100 seems to have a lot of functions that I may never use/need.

I know this is another of 'those' threads.

Please advise.

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Hello I'm new here. I am planning to buy a digital scanner soon and I am considering the following: BCD436HP , or SDS100. My local system (Tippecanoe county, Indiana) is a digital P25 system, but has some volunteer EMS that are analog. I would like this scanner to provide me with service for a few years. I don't know if my system is simulcast, or planning to use it. I guess my question is, will the 436 be a good choice or should I just spring for the sds100? The cost, as you know, is about $150 difference.

I like the AAA batteries of the 436, but I like the charge while using of the SDS100.
Both look like they will cover my area well.
The SDS 100 seems to have a lot of functions that I may never use/need.

I know this is another of 'those' threads.

Please advise.
I would spend the extra $$$, the 436 is kind of long in the tooth, having been introduced in 2014. If you do encounter simulcast issues the 100 will work but maybe not the 436.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if my system is simulcast, or planning to use it.

According to the database, the Tippecanoe P25 system *is* simulcast:

The fact that the site name is "Simulcast" is a pretty good indicator, but many simulcast systems have sites that are named something else. If you click on "Simulcast", however, it takes you to map that shows where the towers are. There appear to be four.

So your choices are to get the 436 and hope that you win the simulcast lottery at your location, or shell out the extra $150 for an SDS100. If it were me I would pick #2.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
According to the database, the Tippecanoe P25 system *is* simulcast:

The fact that the site name is "Simulcast" is a pretty good indicator, but many simulcast systems have sites that are named something else. If you click on "Simulcast", however, it takes you to map that shows where the towers are. There appear to be four.

So your choices are to get the 436 and hope that you win the simulcast lottery at your location, or shell out the extra $150 for an SDS100. If it were me I would pick #2.
Tippecanoe County is Simulcast. Best bet is the SDS100

Looks like simulcast replies saying the same thing at the same time :D

I concur, it's kind of a no-brainer original poster. You might see a delay in your replies for a handful of posts because new members are moderated. Welcome to radio reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.