R8600 New R8600 owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYG

Hi All.

I just received my R8600 a couple of days ago and have a few questions. I've been working on tweaking the band scope to increase the signal size. Out of the box I found it challenging with the vertical representation of the signals being so tiny to identify weaker signals. I've attached a doc that I found that has helped greatly but I'm wondering if there is a way to tweak the scale itself from 10db segments. If not I believe this would be a worthy candidate as a firmware request.

The other thing I'm looking for is network control software. Is the Icom s/w currently the only option of control over a network? From my searching that appears to be the case. Have people been successful using the Icom software and piping the signal into external decoders?

Thanks

Attachments

• n9ewo_icr8600_scope.pdf
    180.3 KB · Views: 58

AOR-262

@NYG

Something you can try if you haven't already is altering the Spectrum Scope 'Span'. If you look at page 4-2 of the R8600 manual, it shows you on that page how to alter the Span (adjustable to ±2.5, 5.0, 10, 25, 50, 100, 250, 500 kHz, 1.0 and 2.5 MHz). The lower you go the seemingly bigger the Bandscope display appears to show the received signal. What you're not going to be able to do is have the signal on the Bandscope as you'd like. It is better achievable to your liking if you use the R8600 as an SDR Receiver connecting it to a PC/Laptop running software such as SDR Console or HDSDR.

As for controlling the R8600 locally on a local network or remotely via the internet, the only software I'm aware of presently is the RS8600 software from Icom.

rumcajs_tr

Hi, just for your info, this is a list of suggestions sent by me to ICOM America and ICOM Europe to pass to the FW developers. Fingers crossed :)

I would like to ask you to submit the following modifications to the IC-R8600 firmware developers for the next firmware revision:
- possibility to combine multiple ranges "program scan" into one run (similar to memory scan)
- Increase the number of "temporary skip" memories and add the option to keep the skipped frequency until the receiver is turned off
- allow user to define different settings for user-defined frequency ranges in VFO mode (memorize step, modulation, filter, preamplifier, rf gain, attenuator, etc. for each frequency range)
- enable user-defined grid range in FFT - this will allow better visualization of weaker signals
- in USB audio output settings, in addition to AF and IF output, add also discriminator output (similar to IC-R8500) for external unfiltered audio processing

NYG

@rumcajs_tr Were there specific email addresses you sent the request to? I want to send in a request as well for the FFT/band scope scaling adjustment. Even if they gave a few fixed parameters such as the default 10db, then 5db and 2.5db per segment would be awesome. It would make the scope so much more usable for weak signals.

rumcajs_tr

Sent it via contact form to:
and to

Even got a reply from Icom America that my suggestions are welcome and will be passed to developer team. Not sure if it is true though.

PS: i try to realize, what is possible and what is not, so I am not suggesting features, which would require major changes to the receiver or significant commercial decissions (such as new digital modes). I try to suggest things, which are/should be easily implemented and that help users to enjoy this excelent receiver even more

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Did you push the number < 1>> button on the display
Then push ref button , ref level will appear turn main dial to adjust ref level
What is your rf gain set at at 100% spectrum spikes will be higher.

Ham radio deluxe lets you control the radio and may be used in the way you want.
I have not tried to remote control radio from that software.
I have used it to control my radio on my computer .
For me it works by choosing the Icom R75 in the drop down menu ci-v address is 96 baud rate 9600.
Using Windows 10

Last edited:

ArloG

And hints in an email response from Icom leads me to believe the possibility to use other than 8600 drivers with rig control software and get receiver control using them. It was a Linux question but experimentation in Windows will tell. :

Linux should natively support the radio since it uses the same driver
as our HF, and 9700 radios (plug it in when Linux is running and check dmesg.
Linux should assign /dev/ttyUSBxx to the radio).
Though Linux is not supported by Icom so we have no additional information.

NYG

I went to the "ask a question" area of Icom America this morning and suggested the ability to change the 10db scaling of the band scope/FFT as a firmware upgrade. Even if it's just a few fixed options to cycle through I'd be happy with that. Maybe the more requests they get for this the better chance of them implementing it.

@n2pqq Yes I've been through the options. Honestly the best I've found so far was making the adjustments in the doc I attached in the first post.
It's a fantastic receiver and I can certainly use it as is, I just think this is something that's feasible and it would make things a lot easier/nicer to use visually.

I wish there was a RS-R8600 demo available for download to take it for a test drive. I really like having network access to the radios I have that support it.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

The conversation was also about the spectrum display. One workaround is to use the R8600 as an expensive front end.

SDR Console also has a TCP server, but I have not tried it. There seems to be bits and pieces available that could be cobbled together for a R8600 network solution, but nothing neatly packaged like the Icom application.

73 Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.