New R8600 owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesH

Premium Subscriber
I have installed SDR Console and it works beautifully with the R8600.
I have installed both RS-R8600 and the RT systems programming software, but neither will connect to the radio.
I assume I am using a compatible cable and I am using the I/Q port, since SDR Console works so well.
I have installed, removed, and reinstalled all three programs, always with the same result.
In other words, "HELP, please."

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
I use the front usb port set to AF (Menu, Set, Connectors) for CS-R8600. I use the rear USB port set to IF to run SDR console.

AOR-262

@jamesH

The current version of RT Systems Programming Software (WSC-R8600) is Version 5.00.18

It is riddled with Bugs! Use it and lose your data ... guaranteed!

As of 21st July 2020, since RT released an update to version 5.00.18 I have discovered 5 bugs in the software.

I have uploaded video evidence onto my YouTube Channel.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
@jamesH

The current version of RT Systems Programming Software (WSC-R8600) is Version 5.00.18

It is riddled with Bugs! Use it and lose your data ... guaranteed!

As of 21st July 2020, since RT released an update to version 5.00.18 I have discovered 5 bugs in the software.

I have uploaded video evidence onto my YouTube Channel.

Sad but very true.

I tried to add 25 channels the other day into Bank 8. That seemed to work until I noticed it also wiped out the first 50 or so channels in Bank 0.
It also did some weird things in other banks by shifting memories up or down.

I've seen the above with several different versions of their R8600 software. I've also seen some pretty bad bugs with the general settings where values are not read or written during upload or download to/from the radio and where values are written to the radio with totally different values than what was read or entered.

The above as well as several other bugs just like you said are what I see as well.
I've reported them before and in some cases, RT did fix a bug and issue an update but it seems as though the program is going in the wrong direction and more bugs are introduced with each new version they release.

I'll still use it very cautiously when I need to do bulk edits or add a group of channels but I find I spent more time going over the data fixing errors the software created than what it would have taken me to add everything in manually with Icom's CS-8600 software.
For the times I do manage to get RT's software to work, I always read both my 8600's into Icom's CS software for backup.
I could not say how many times I've needed to restore my data in the radios using the backups I'd made with Icom's software after RT's softwar fudged it up but it has been a lot.
When RT's software does work, it's features are nice. Especially things like adding a group of memory channels via import or copy and paste or doing bulk edits to existing data. Icom's software is not nearly as versatile as RT's software is supposed to be when it comes to those features.

jamesH

Premium Subscriber
Loving it. I finally got the programs working but really don't use them. I'm waiting for RT to bring out a bug-free update.

I do a lot of manual tuning or use SDR Console.

I spend a lot of time listening to hams on HF and VHF, listening to P25 LEO that is not trunked, hunting SW broadcasts, and listening to local FM and AM stations.

On the nights I can't sleep, it gets a lot of use.

Thanks for asking!

SigIntel8600

Premium Subscriber
Update, I pulled the trigger and ordered an R8600 today! :D No sleep for me until it gets here, then probably even less sleep after it arrives!

I hope you ordered the CS-8600 software as well. You will be blown away by the IC-R8600. My DV-1 sitting next to it covers the digital modes the the 8600 does not. Enjoy your new, top of the line COMINT machine.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I hope you ordered the CS-8600 software as well. You will be blown away by the IC-R8600. My DV-1 sitting next to it covers the digital modes the the 8600 does not. Enjoy your new, top of the line COMINT machine.

The IC-R8600 decodes digital protocol signals P25 (Phase 1), NXDN™, dPMR™, D-STAR, Japanese DCR. I had an AOR DV-1 that I should have kept, as they complement each other well. It's nice that the DV-1 covers DMR and TETRA.

SigIntel8600

Premium Subscriber
The IC-R8600 decodes digital protocol signals P25 (Phase 1), NXDN™, dPMR™, D-STAR, Japanese DCR. I had an AOR DV-1 that I should have kept, as they complement each other well. It's nice that the DV-1 covers DMR and TETRA.

Wait until your hear a P25 signal on the R8600. Second to none.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I'm jealous!

Oh I was too since the IC-R8600 was introduced. I haven't been doing too much due to COVID, and my wife's stroke. My clock's been ticking and now Winter is approaching. I'm becoming a shut-in, winter's in Michigan on us old guys! I really needed something to keep me busy and keep my mind challenged.

I hope you can get one soon! :)

ridgescan

Update, I pulled the trigger and ordered an R8600 today! :D No sleep for me until it gets here, then probably even less sleep after it arrives!
Glad ya did! Oh yeah you're going to love this receiver.
And a bonus-at least for me, I bought mine from Ham Radio Outlet in Oakland, Ca. in August 2018 and this rig STILL feels new-to-me:) and so far I haven't even begun to utilize the vastness of its abilities, likely never will. But man it's a lot of fun to own one!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

My R8600 arrived yesterday! As you can imagine I've been learning the ins & outs and I'm having a blast! Looking at programming software. Are there any other choices besides Icom's and RT's System's? Is RTS as bad as people are saying it is?

@jamesH did you ever resolve your connection problem? Did you install the USB driver software for your USB cable?

N1FKO

Premium Subscriber
Is RTS as bad as people are saying it is?
I stopped using it after it blew away the settings on the radio - I didn't feel it was worth the risk. I think its one main feature is that it is good for bulk edits. Other than that I find it inexplicably slow and unstable.

The Icom software seems expensive for what it does, but it does it fast, and without surprises.

Status
Not open for further replies.