New Radar Can Detect Tornadoes Faster-

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyB

"...forecasters would be able to issue warning with pinpoint accuracy up to two hours ahead of time where and when a tornado is likely to strike, according to Kloesel." -- I highly doubt that Dr. Kloesel said this. I think there was a bit of miscommunication here. Unfortunately, CASA won't be able to provide 2 hours lead time. Often times the parent thunderstorm responsible for a tornado doesn't even develop until just 45-60 minutes before the birth of the tornado. No doubt, CASA will make a huge difference for folks in rural areas where beam height issues do exist with the current network of WSR-88D's, as the article explained. One such area is south-central and southeast sections of the state of Missouri, near Poplar Bluff and Van Buren. This has long been a problem area for radar coverage, and happens to be in one of the most active areas of the country for severe weather.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
It was a bit of a mis-quote... Using CASA combined with super-high resolution computer modeling, it's possible that maybe someday WAY in the future it can occur. In testing they did get one case where the computer predicted a computer two hours out, but that took 24 hours for the run to generate ;)

RandyB

Figured it had to be a misquote. Interesting though! I haven't been following the CASA project too closely.

mdulrich, I bet whatever it was ran linux. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.