new Radio Shack desktop digital recorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

parnass

AJ9S
(Note: This is not intended as a product review.)

Radio Shack has a new product of interest to scanner hobbyists. They call it a "Desktop Digital Recorder" (model # 1400214). Think of it as a modern, solid state replacement for their traditional VOX (voice activated) cassette tape recorders. Measuring 7.1 by 4.7 by 1.6 inches, the new recorder is too big for a shirt pocket, but its larger size is just right for use in a radio room.

In the past, I used modified versions of Radio Shack's old CTR-75 cassette recorders connected to my receivers to monitor channels unattended. The CTR-75s were voice activated and I would review the tapes for recorded radio traffic at day's end when trying to identify frequency users.

The Desktop Digital Recorder is so new that I can't find it on Radio Shack's web site. The store manager had just placed it on the shelf of his store minutes before I walked in and bought it.

The new recorder features a large, backlit LCD display and 4 GB of memory built in. It has a slot for an optional SDHC memory card (up to 32 GB) if you want to expand the capacity.

As supplied, the Desktop Digital Recorder can store between 92 and 262 hours of audio, depending on the recording quality level you select. There are 3 levels available.

The desktop digital recorder is powered by 4 AA batteries or by a wall wart power supply. The AC wall wart is supplied with the recorder, along with a soft mesh carrying case.

There is built in microphone, as well as 1/8" jacks for auxiliary line and external microphone inputs. A miniature USB 2 jack is located on the size and a USB patch cord is supplied so you can transfer the recordings from the recorder to your computer. The audio files are in .WAV format and easily transferred to and played on my Linux computer.

There are computer programs available to record audio from an external source, e.g., a scanner. I prefer to keep my scanners and computer separate during monitoring sessions, so a dedicated recorder like this one meets my requirements.

The new recorder is a solid state device and makes no noise. There are other applications besides scanner monitoring for this recorder. You can "arm" it in VOX mode, hide it behind a couch, and record several days worth of sound in your home while on vacation or while the baby sitter is having an unauthorized party in your house.

The list price is just under $50, and I used a $10 coupon to lower the price. Radio Shack currently gives customers another $10 off coupon if they make a purchase over $30, so I walked out of the store with a new recorder plus a new coupon.

The bright green display backlight turns off after a few seconds and was off when I took the following snapshot.

desktop-digital-recorder.jpg

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Nice find bob! I have a panasonic digital recorder I use for on air recording. ;)

n9zas

Last edited:

gewecke

Banned
Then you're really going to wish you didn't see this...

There's only one reason I "hate" this site. I want to buy EVERYTHING I see... :lol:

Well I am wrestling with thoughts about wanting one of these, here's the latest updates on this thing.

Earl - Backcountry Survival Tablet

I was thinking this was vapor ware but maybe not?
...Opinions anyone?

n9zas

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
Well I am wrestling with thoughts about wanting one of these, here's the latest updates on this thing.

Earl - Backcountry Survival Tablet

I was thinking this was vapor ware but maybe not?
...Opinions anyone?

n9zas

It does sound pretty good! I looked at that a while back on here. I'm thinking it will really come around. Maybe not as soon as expected but I think it will in time.. I want soo many things I see on here but I'm attempting to save for an HF rig, auto tuner and antenna.

I am looking at getting a few of these though.. www.indiegogo.com/projects/button-trackr-find-lost-items
Could be useful for many different things such as connecting to a radio or pager that you don't wanna forget to bring with you(or bring home!)

gewecke

Banned
It does sound pretty good! I looked at that a while back on here. I'm thinking it will really come around. Maybe not as soon as expected but I think it will in time.. I want soo many things I see on here but I'm attempting to save for an HF rig, auto tuner and antenna.

I am looking at getting a few of these though.. www.indiegogo.com/projects/button-trackr-find-lost-items
Could be useful for many different things such as connecting to a radio or pager that you don't wanna forget to bring with you(or bring home!)

That's the only gadget NOT on my want list, I don't do the "Horrible Frequencies". I gave away the only HF rig I ever owned without a single tear, a Yaesu FT301D and P.s. :twisted:

n9zas

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
That's the only gadget NOT on my want list, I don't do the "Horrible Frequencies". I gave away the only HF rig I ever owned without a single tear, a Yaesu FT301D and P.s. :twisted:

n9zas

Whys that? I've worked HF a few times since I got my ticket when I was at another hams and I enjoyed it. I guess field day this coming weekend will get my on HF a bit more than I have before.

(Sorry for getting the thread a bit off topic!)

gewecke

Banned
Whys that? I've worked HF a few times since I got my ticket when I was at another hams and I enjoyed it. I guess field day this coming weekend will get my on HF a bit more than I have before.

(Sorry for getting the thread a bit off topic!)

HF is not a suitable option for a number of reasons,
1. Antennas are too large to be practical.
2. Too much rf required.
3. Bands are far too noisy, and nosey and loaded with geritol ops obsessed with talking about their bodily functions! :(
4. I have no reasons to talk to anyone in other parts of the country that I don't know, much less all the needless contesting crap.
5. You can't stick HF in your pocket and take it with you.

n9zas

parnass

AJ9S
Here are a couple of additional observations about the new Radio Shack desktop digital recorder.

The recorder does not time stamp recordings. This is odd because you can set the current date and time in setup mode. The date and time are displayed when the recorder is idle -- i.e., the recorder merely uses the date and time information when acting like a simple clock.

The VOX circuit can be used either with the internal or external microphones, but not the auxiliary line input. I use a patch cord to connect the recorder's external microphone jack to the tape jack on an ICOM IC-R8500 receiver and the setup works well.

The recorder functions when powered by Sanyo Eneloop NiMH batteries, despite their lower voltage than alkaline batteries.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Here are a couple of additional observations about the new Radio Shack desktop digital recorder.

The recorder does not time stamp recordings. This is odd because you can set the current date and time in setup mode. The date and time are displayed when the recorder is idle -- i.e., the recorder merely uses the date and time information when acting like a simple clock.

The VOX circuit can be used either with the internal or external microphones, but not the auxiliary line input. I use a patch cord to connect the recorder's external microphone jack to the tape jack on an ICOM IC-R8500 receiver and the setup works well.

The recorder functions when powered by Sanyo Eneloop NiMH batteries, despite their lower voltage than alkaline batteries.

Bob, question!
I have a mini home recording studio set up at home with digital recorders which operate similar to this one. Does the record button go on immediately or does it go into standby mode until you hit record a second time?

Manny

parnass

AJ9S
Bob, question!
I have a mini home recording studio set up at home with digital recorders which operate similar to this one. Does the record button go on immediately or does it go into standby mode until you hit record a second time?

Manny

Hello Manny,

The Radio Shack desktop digital record provides two recording modes: VOX and Manual.

The REC button requires only a single press to arm the recorder in VOX mode or to start recording in Manual mode.

Additionally, you can choose between high and low VOX trip sensitivity settings in the recorder's setup menu. My recorder occasionally misses the first spoken syllable in VOX mode, regardless of the sensitivity setting.

When in VOX mode, it stops recording approximately 2 seconds after the last sound. That's faster than the old CTR-75 cassette recorders which I modified back in 1988 to shorten their stock 4 second post recording delay.

Violation

Bob, it's good to see your reports here on RR. What do you think of the audio quality on playback? In the past I've only used a VOX RS cassette recorder with not real good quality. This recorder looks interesting. Thanks....PW

parnass

AJ9S
... What do you think of the audio quality on playback? In the past I've only used a VOX RS cassette recorder with not real good quality. ..

Hello PW,

The audio quality is good enough for scanner recording and sounds quite a bit better than the old CTR-75 cassette recorders. The latter distorted the beginning of VOX recordings due to the time required to bring the tape up to speed.

Playback of music using the digital desktop recorder's small internal speaker is not good enough for entertainment purposes, but improves substantially when used with external headphones. In fact, audio is routed to both sides of a stereo headphone.

The recorder's audio frequency response is listed as 300 - 10,000 Hz, but I didn't verify it using test equipment.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Hello Manny,

The Radio Shack desktop digital record provides two recording modes: VOX and Manual.

The REC button requires only a single press to arm the recorder in VOX mode or to start recording in Manual mode.

Additionally, you can choose between high and low VOX trip sensitivity settings in the recorder's setup menu. My recorder occasionally misses the first spoken syllable in VOX mode, regardless of the sensitivity setting.

When in VOX mode, it stops recording approximately 2 seconds after the last sound. That's faster than the old CTR-75 cassette recorders which I modified back in 1988 to shorten their stock 4 second post recording delay.

Bob, thank you! As always, your information is imperative,thorough and appreciated! I can't wait until this baby hits the stores!

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.