New radio system for monroe co

Status
Not open for further replies.

billwoody

digital conversion

Beginning at 0330 this morning, all police radio transmissions in Monroe County were converted to the new digital system. All police agencies, all frequencies.

Nightjock

Found RPD, on my phone.

If you have the iPhone App "Emergency Radio", you might notice that they're still streaming some RPD chatter on the Monroe County Public Safety channel. It's not everything, but it's something.

D

DaveNF2G

Everything is in the clear on the dispatch and other routine ops channels. SWAT and similar channels might be encrypted.

As for the local drive-thru frequencies, if anyone sends them to me they will appear on my website.

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
I think if you switch id scan to id search you might be able to figure things out in who has what ids.

Last edited:

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
It is my understanding all of Monroe Co. Law Enforcement is going digital as of December 20, 2009. They have Motorola XTS2500 for the last few months while the digital sites were built out. Reportedly they are going to "flip the switch" on the 20th.

Us Monroe County folks may be out buying digital scanners soon. :)

So they are going with just the hand-helds or car radios also?

GSPD

Nightjock, you'll have to let me know how you like the BCD-396XT. This is the first time since I was 12 that I can't monitor the PD on my radios. I've got to make a decision on what to buy...a handheld is looking really good for it's portability at these prices! I'm still reading the pros and cons.

pancho51

Dave, I am a novice. I have a Bearcat BC246T. Am I out of luck on the new digital switchover in Monroe County? Thanks, Jack

tuffaznalz

Any update on the BrightonPD/FairportPD freq?
460.225 sounds like it's now RPD CH5 (City records) , transmissions sound exceptional clear.

Update: Brighton PD = 460.075 (also Irondq. PD)

Last edited:

Keuka

It's time for me now to get a new digital scanner , besides Radio Shack anyone know who else sells scanners in the Rochester area.

Thanks

tuffaznalz

It's time for me now to get a new digital scanner , besides Radio Shack anyone know who else sells scanners in the Rochester area.

Thanks
You can try Sparky's, they had scanners at one time.

Sparkys Cb Auto Sound & Elect.
301 Lyell Ave
Rochester, NY 14608
585-458-1188

Nightjock

LOVING MY 396XT in Monroe County

Nightjock, you'll have to let me know how you like the BCD-396XT. This is the first time since I was 12 that I can't monitor the PD on my radios. I've got to make a decision on what to buy...a handheld is looking really good for it's portability at these prices! I'm still reading the pros and cons.

GSPD,

After spending a few hours figuring out my new 396XT and the software to program it, I have to say....DO IT!!!

It's a lot smaller than I was expecting it to be, which is good. The build quality is MUCH better than the RS scanners. It feels solid, and professional. Compact and grippy. Grippy is good when you're playing with your new $500 toy.

I'm very happy I went with the hand held. Does everything a base/mobile does, but I can sit on the couch with one ear bud in and still get "time spent with wife points" !!!!

And to make this post relevant to the thread...I figured out the new Monroe County digital system and I'm grabbing everything with the stock ducky antenna.

Again...DO IT!

GSPD

Nightjock,
Glad you're happy with your purchase! I've got to place an order. Only issue I read about the portable is lack of volume and quality? Any concerns or does it measure up in that department? Almost forgot...what programming software are you using?

Nightjock

Nightjock,
Glad you're happy with your purchase! I've got to place an order. Only issue I read about the portable is lack of volume and quality? Any concerns or does it measure up in that department? Almost forgot...what programming software are you using?

No REAL problem with volume or quality. Just need to be realistic. The speaker inside obviously does not have the same surface area as one you'd find in a base. So it won't be EXACTLY the same quality as a larger speaker...but I'm having no issue hearing it. The ability to take it ANYWHERE outweighs any of those issues for me. Plus, it has a standard headphone jack on top, so you could plug it in to almost anything if you need more gain. I was running it through my truck's stereo today just for fun.

I'm using the ARC-XT Basic software to program it. Got it from scannermaster.com when I ordered the scanner. I was not familiar with many of the settings and new digital protocols in the software/scanner, so I had to teach myself. It's been a little trying, but I am determined to get the most out of this baby.

To answer another local question, Sparky's is able to order them, but they aren't in stock. I got mine online a little cheaper and didn't have to go anywhere near Lyell Ave.

Nightjock

Need Monroe CTY Programming Help

I am hearing Monroe County and RPD on my BCD-396XT (Firmware version 1.08.14). I am using ARC-XT Basic software to program it. I am hearing Monroe County and RPD, but I want to make sure I have things set up right.

According to something I read somewhere, I need a receiver capable of decoding the following: APCO P25 Phase 1 Digital modulation, plus Standard FM and Narrow FM modulation.

Is this a mix of digital and analog? I'm new to digital and just want to work all of this out.

Right now I have Monroe County NY set up as a Conventional System Type. It contains 1 Group with 15 frequencies in it. Mode is set to Auto. Audio Type Set to digital. P25NAC Codes are filled in.

I get audio, but I do not see unit ID's.

Am I set up correctly? If not, can someone help out with a suggested structure of System, Site, and Group?

Keuka

Looks like I will order one online as there seem to be some better deals and as I stopped in my local Radio Shack and they had no digital scanners.
And I need to do some reading, I have been listening to scanners for many years but had not paid much attention to the changes in them until Rochester went digital, (1). Digital scanners are not cheap and (2). Looks like programming the new digital ones is a whole different ballgame than what I am use to, a whole lot.
This is a great website and learning more as I read.

D

DaveNF2G

If your scanner can do P25, it can do the FM types.

Monroe County police are running pure P25 audio over FM repeaters. This is not a mix, it is a single way of transmitting. You might try setting the Mode to NFM, as the digital transmissions are now NBFM compliant.

As for unit IDs, I'm not sure if they are using that feature. To make sure, you should sit in a single channel and watch for them. You might need to catch the very beginning of a transmission to see the unit ID info if it is being transmitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.