New Radio System Funding

Status
Not open for further replies.

brey1234

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
For Immediate Release Contact: 202-224-9020 (Specter)
June 23, 2008 202-228-6367 (Casey)

Senators Specter and Casey Announce Committee Approval of Pennsylvania Projects

Funding Is Contained in the Fiscal Year 2009 CJS Bill

Washington, D.C. - U.S. Senators Arlen Specter and Bob Casey announced the U.S. Senate Appropriations Committee has approved funding for several Pennsylvania projects. The projects are contained in the Fiscal Year 2009 Commerce, Justice and Science (CJS) Appropriations bill.

“This funding will have tremendous impact on local communities by enhancing safety through advanced law enforcement programs and promoting important scientific initiatives,” Senator Specter said. “I am pleased my Congressional colleagues have approved federal funding for these vital projects.”

"I am thrilled the Appropriations Committee has approved these projects for Pennsylvania," Senator Casey said. "I will continue to work with Senator Specter to fund economic development programs, law enforcement and violence prevention initiatives, and scientific research projects throughout the commonwealth."

The bill will now await action on the Senate floor and must be approved by the House of Representatives and the President of the United States before funding is final.

Pennsylvania projects in the bill include:

$500,000 for the Franklin County Emergency Services Alliance in Franklin County to provide interoperable telecommunications equipment to emergency responders throughout the county. This project, in conjunction with the county’s upgrades to its 9-1-1 Center, will improve operations and response times to emergencies, which have been hampered by incompatible radio communications between local and state entities.

$500,000 for Clarion County to implement, enhance and sustain an interoperable communications network among local, regional, and State public safety entities. The investment in radio communications technology and equipment will help meet the needs of first responder agencies in natural, man-made or terrorism-related incidents, while providing a direct link to all first responder agencies in the county and other counties in the region.

Status
Not open for further replies.