New Radios being used by NYPD

Status
Not open for further replies.

4-crime

I saw this photo and I actually saw some officers in person carrying these as well. Couldn’t get a great look but they look like APX4000’s or something like that.

Can anyone confirm or know what model these are?709312B8-30C4-498A-80DF-E5B3EDB54AED.jpeg

asweezy

Premium Subscriber
Vertex VX-P949 basically an APX4000 conventional only uses APX software

1a13ab262e663aba4c63aa86a68501c4.jpg
4b4be778dae45b9834582fc1871dcbbf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4-crime

Interesting. I wonder why they are going with so many different radio models now. APX7000, APX6000, Vertex VX537, VX800, VXP824, VXP924 and now the Motorola/Vertex P949.

I didn’t know this radio was ever released. I know there was rumblings about being released last year but never heard anything more than that. What’s the cost on one of these?

Danny37

These P25 radios really have you wondering if the big E will come to NYC.

The P824 radio seem to be exclusive to some Manhattan commands and bosses/detectives. Heard vertex discoutinued them last year. Those 537s have been to hell and back, everyone I've come across is silver from how much they've been dinged and bruised.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The VX-P949 is now the new NYPD standard issue radio, with the citywide rollout beginning in Brooklyn North a few months ago.

They have P25 and encryption capability right out of the box.

Let's just say that there are going to be a lot of extremely unhappy NYPD ex-listeners around two years from now. Enjoy the monitoring while you still can. ;)

Last edited:

Danny37

The VX-P949 is now the new NYPD standard issue radio, with the citywide rollout beginning in Brooklyn North a few months ago.

They have P25 and encryption capability right out of the box.

Let's just say that there are going to be a lot of extremely unhappy NYPD ex-listeners around two years from now. Enjoy the monitoring while you still can. ;)

Well this is disappointing, was hoping NYC would be one of those cities that would be in the clear. Crossing my fingers that dispatch and SOD remains in the clear.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Just because the radio is provisioned for an option like P-25 and or "E" doesn't mean NYPD is going to it. They have always taken the KISS method when designing their systems. One reason why you don't see a megalopolis trunking system in NYC.
As I remember it NYPD always rolls out new or replacement radios in the outer boroughs first, then one borough per year with Manhattan usually the last. This could have changed, but I doubt you would change a system that has worked for over 50 years.

ff026

Feed Provider
Just because the radio is provisioned for an option like P-25 and or "E" doesn't mean NYPD is going to it. They have always taken the KISS method when designing their systems. One reason why you don't see a megalopolis trunking system in NYC.
As I remember it NYPD always rolls out new or replacement radios in the outer boroughs first, then one borough per year with Manhattan usually the last. This could have changed, but I doubt you would change a system that has worked for over 50 years.
Sorry but your completely wrong in this. Encryption is coming. They are issuing new radio starting with PBBS (Patrol Boro Brooklyn South). Once the entire Dept has new radios the encryption will slowly be turned on.

As part of this change all spare precinct radios are being returned. If your radio is broken you have to bring it out to the shop yourself. This procedure is being put into place to protect the security of the system.

All recruits are being issued new radios in the academy. All new radios will have the issued officers tax number which is how the radio will be tracked internally.

Encryption is coming. I saw the 49 myself with my own eyes.

Danny37

Sorry but your completely wrong in this. Encryption is coming. They are issuing new radio starting with PBBS (Patrol Boro Brooklyn South). Once the entire Dept has new radios the encryption will slowly be turned on.

As part of this change all spare precinct radios are being returned. If your radio is broken you have to bring it out to the shop yourself. This procedure is being put into place to protect the security of the system.

All recruits are being issued new radios in the academy. All new radios will have the issued officers tax number which is how the radio will be tracked internally.

Encryption is coming. I saw the 49 myself with my own eyes.

God I really didn't want to hear this. Is it proposed for everything to be encrypted or just tacticial? Also when is the proposed date for completion?

ff026

Feed Provider
They way it reads everything will be encrypted. It does not go into specifics but LSSD(Life Safety Systems Division) is not gonna encrypt a couple of 2 watt Tactical channels and institute new procedures. This is an institutional change. The “radio shop” and the NYPD for that matter has a completely different attitude towards technology.

KD2JFA

Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
Not too worried. :) was talking to the LSSD guys at the FEMA Region 2 Comms exercise a few back and they didnt lend much to anything to worry about. Ill just leave it at that.

ff026

Feed Provider
A
Not too worried. :) was talking to the LSSD guys at the FEMA Region 2 Comms exercise a few back and they didnt lend much to anything to worry about. Ill just leave it at that.
a few back when years?,months?,days? This 49 is about 60 days old.

ff026

Feed Provider
The 49 came down in November. Any commands they are getting grey shirts (recruits) are getting the new chargers for the new radios in addition to their normal chargers.

KD2JFA

Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
Well aware of the new radios being issued not debating that. Merely lending to what I’ve heard about encryption and it’s not something to worry about.

4-crime

Not saying encryption couldn’t happen, but it just seems like it wouldn’t, at least entirely. The amount of testing alone that would have to go into this would take a long time itself. Remember, NYPD has been analog since the beginning of time, and it has worked for the most part flawlessly. To now switch to digital which is a big step would require a lot of work. Plus all the other outside agencies that have NYPD frequencies programmed in their radios, what happens there? I know NYPD is going encrypted atleast somewhat because they already have several frequencies encrypted including a tac channel that is programmed in newer radios. But for full blown encryption department wide, I just can’t see it happening. Besides the press and civil rights activists would start world war 3 if that ever happened. I could see it now, “What is the NYPD trying to hide!?”

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
One piece of important info that most of you will not be aware of is that not too long ago, the NYPD had Motorola design a new comparator (voter) specifically for them. It is the GRV 8000, and is capable of voting both analog and P25 conventional within the same piece of hardware. Its purpose is to not only support a mixed-mode channel with the top of the line G Series equipment, but to also make the transition from analog to digital seamless.

GRV 8000 Comparator - Motorola Solutions

The writing is on the wall, fellas.

Status
Not open for further replies.