BCD396XT/BCD996XT: New Redding PD (Shasta County CA) system

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
Uniden's BCD325P2, BCD996P2, BCD436HP, BCD536HP, Home Patrol 2, SDS100, and SDS200 will work with this new APCO P25 Phase 2 system.
I just realized this thread is in Uniden, so I'll say it quietly that the latest Whistler TRX and WS1098 can handle the Phase 2 systems also, even with simulcasting, but not as decent as the SDS from what I hear. (As a current owner, user, victim, I can't recommend TRX or WS) Unication pagers can handle it without batting an eye. Also, this Redding system does have a lot of area where the radio will have line-of-sight to both radio sites, and the SDR I was using and Whistler each took turns having problems maintaining the control channel while mobile.

Now that there's more traffic on the system now, it'll be interesting to go back and really see how the scanner holds up, or not.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
Simulcast distortion is location dependent. My Uniden 536 handles simulcast pretty well for the neighboring county when I’m home, but misses 75% or so of my county. So within those parameters, it works with simulcast.

jpaul1982

Premium Subscriber
I’m very well versed with our 996XT’s. Should the 996P2 handle it or would y’all recommend a 536HP/SDS200 (even though it’s a hefty price)?? I prefer the base model designs, it’s either mounted in my truck or sitting on my desk. Both the 996P2 and 536HP have the same dimensions, so they’d be plug and play in my truck with the same bracket/cables.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I’m very well versed with our 996XT’s. Should the 996P2 handle it or would y’all recommend a 536HP/SDS200 (even though it’s a hefty price)?? I prefer the base model designs, it’s either mounted in my truck or sitting on my desk. Both the 996P2 and 536HP have the same dimensions, so they’d be plug and play in my truck with the same bracket/cables.
When dealing with simulcast, the SDS series scanners are the best choice. The x36HP scanners (436HP & 536HP) are not as successful, but they are above the P2 scanners (996P2 & 325P2). In tests I tried around my area, when the SDS scanners were first released, the SDS100 was getting nearly everything. My 436HP was in the 70 to 80% range, with the 325P2 in the 50 to 60% slot. My Whistler TRX-1 was below 50%.

If you were using a scanner in only a fixed location, then a 996P2 or 536HP might work out for you, if using a directional antenna to focus on a single sub-site. But when out & about mobile in the area, you likely will need to go with the SDS200, because the issues with simulcast will change depending on your exact position relative to the transmit towers. The Unication pager handles simulcast, but it can only monitor one site at a time, with a limited number of talkgroups. (You can program other sites & sets of talkgroups, but it can only scan one site at a time.) The Blue Tail receiver can also deal with simulcast, but there is not a display. You program it with a PC, and then power it with an external power supply.

Should you decide to try a scanner other than the SDS200, be sure to buy your 996P2 or 536HP from a dealer that does not impose large restock fees if you have to return it & go to the SDS200.

nc6a

Programmed it into my BCD436HP and it's working perfectly. I live on the East Side of town.

nc6a

There are other TG's but are encrypted. I believe TG 202 will be Redding Fire when they switch
over after fire season.

jpaul1982

Premium Subscriber
I stopped by our Air Ops facility and they have a 996XT on a desk with RPD’s new system. Works crystal clear with the unencrypted channel.

mikedaly

Feed Provider
There are other TG's but are encrypted. I believe TG 202 will be Redding Fire when they switch
over after fire season.
TG 202 is RPD Patrol 2. Redding fire is using the 4XX for their TG. they have 2 TG that are int the 1XX. TG 411 and 413 are both Encrypted for fire Chief net and fire Investigation.
Here is my thoughts on how TG will be.
Fire command 1 403
Fire Command 2 404
Fire Command 3 405
Fire Command 4 406
Fireground 1 407
Fireground 2 408
Fireground 3 409
Fireground 4 410

This leaves a TG in the 1XX that is in the mix.

Mike

KK6MPT

Kevin - KK6MPT
Premium Subscriber
I have not heard Redding Fire Department in a few days now. I'm listening to their VHF channels, the Public Safety trunking system and the P25 system with no luck. Makes me wonder if they have switched to the P25 system and are using encryption.

KK6MPT

Kevin - KK6MPT
Premium Subscriber
After some additional detective work, it appears Redding Fire Department is indeed still on their analog VHF channel of 154.325 but has changed their CTCSS tone from 91.5 to 136.5. This would explain why I wasn't hearing them on either of my scanners.

JethrowJohnson

Thanks for the update. Now I just have to figure out how to make the change on my SDS100 and BCD436HP.
Menu>Manage Favorites>(Favorites [ ])>Review/Edit System>(System name)>Edit Department>(Department name)>Edit Channel>(Channel name)>Set Audio Type>Analog Only>CTCSS>136.5Hz