New Release Available 1/20/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhistlerWendy

Premium Subscriber
Hey all, we have been very busy and working on a few fixes but more importantly we have added several new functions to the scanners in part base on your suggestions and some of our internal team members suggestions.

CPU changes
New CPU updates include
All models:
• MENU: Added distinctive tone when wrapping top/bottom in menus
• SEARCH: Amateur: Split 420-450 range into 420-440 and 440-450
• EDIT: TSYS: Fixed problem with toggling SITE lockout status not saving when using SKIP key in "Edit Sites" menu
• Added "Backlight on Unmute" (not "on squelch"). This really acts like an "object alert", in that it persists through Hold/Delay time. If set, it overrides any backlight alert settings within an object (TGRP or CONV) as well as the search/sweeper backlight setting. It works for "objects" and in the search/sweeper modes.
• Search/sweeper "backlight" feature now works. It's like the "backlight on unmute" feature above, but for search/sweeper modes.

Models with keypads:
• MENU: Fixed FUNC+Down bug taking you to invalid menu item
• Fn+<#>: added some "direct access" key sequences:
o Fn + 1 = Scan mode
o Fn + 2 = Program Menu
o Fn + 3 = Sweeper Menu
o Fn + 4 = Service Search Menu
o Fn + 5 = Limit Search
o Fn + 6 = Playback mode
Handhelds with keypads:
• KEY LOCK: Fn + Power now toggles key lock state. When keyboard is locked:
o all keys except Fn + Power ignored
o key presses do not turn on backlight
o Power key will not power down scanner

TRX-1 and TRX-2:
• EDIT: CONV & SITE: NXDN RAN changed from hex to decimal
• NXDN: Trunked & Conv: Minor tweaks

PC APP
• (TRX) Fixed a crash when populating the audio file listing when NXDN Type-D talkgroup recordings are present.
• (All) Added support for Lite on when Unmute option. When enabled, the backlight will come on anytime the scanner unmutes the speaker.
• (All) The PC App will now check to see if audio is being played back when selecting any option to copy configurations to or from the scanner's SD card. If playback is in progress, a prompt will appear to stop the playback before the SD card may be accessed.
• (All) Fixed issue where frequencies between 54MHz and 88MHz could not be entered in the UK bandplan if the FlexStep option was enabled.
• (All) Fixed issue with CPU updates when using Windows 10 and using the default Windows drivers.
• (All) Fixed issue with CSV/Clipboard import process for conventional objects.
• (All) Fixed issue with talkgroup CSV/Clipboard import where columns were not being detected when a header line was included in the import data.
• (All) Fixed issue with radio ID CSV/Clipboard import where columns were not being detected when a header line was included in the import data.
• (All) Fixed issue with radio ID CSV/Clipboard import where the scanlist options were not being decoded properly.
• (All) Changed what the Application looks for on the Priority, Audio Boost, Lockout, Priority, and Record fields for all CSV/Clipboard import methods. See the updated help file for details.

Happy Scanning

aps_ak

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for fixing the CSV Conventional channel import bug. I think it was something I was doing, but didn't have time to research it further.

ratpatrol

Thank you whistler for these very valuable updates for my newly acquired trx-1. Also nice to see the product development team working hard for its customers. Its all about a strong focus on the customer experience and happy customers by more whistler stuff

pdeveau2010

FIXED !!

Thank you very much for the new updates, my NXDN trunking system is now working and also any nxdn in conventional scanning is now working . great job Whistler !!

racingfan360

Good to see Whistler releasing updates......like all good software development, I think small incremental updates work better than the infrequent/no updates at all approach employed by Uniden.

Does anyone know if Whistler acknowledge bug reports sent to the scannerbugreports@whistlergroup.com address provided by WW?

I see the latest release still has some issues, in particular with NXDN conventional decoding (ignoring the Global Blink Time issue is quite annoying), and the UK Band Plan has some key flaws to it as well. It would be good to know Whistler have at least acknowledged these issues.

MichaelBhere

Good to see Whistler releasing updates......like all good software development, I think small incremental updates work better than the infrequent/no updates at all approach employed by Uniden.

Does anyone know if Whistler acknowledge bug reports sent to the scannerbugreports@whistlergroup.com address provided by WW?

I see the latest release still has some issues, in particular with NXDN conventional decoding (ignoring the Global Blink Time issue is quite annoying), and the UK Band Plan has some key flaws to it as well. It would be good to know Whistler have at least acknowledged these issues.

When I asked, I was informed all bug reports are reviewed and attempted to be confirmed then fixed within a few weeks depending on the issue but there is no reply to these. Same for the suggestions email, reviewed and prioritized but no reply to emails. Whistler is following thru on their promise to take our suggestions to task as I was blown away with the latest feature enhancements. I have a few more suggestions to submit and hope to see one or more come to fruition in the future. Thanks for listening Wendy!

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Wendy, your new EZScan release appears to have broken my ability to perform CPU and DSP updates to my scanner...sees the SD card, cannot see the serial port any longer...any suggestions?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 5.33.08 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 5.33.08 AM.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,314

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Got it working again...had to go into device manager, uninstall driver "software", unplug, reinstall from the EZScan download from the website (driver within EZScan package), now it sees the scanner...in case anyone hits the same snag.

Paul

racingfan360

When I asked, I was informed all bug reports are reviewed and attempted to be confirmed then fixed within a few weeks depending on the issue but there is no reply to these.

Thanks Michael....I wonder if Whistler might consider simply acknowledging that they've just received the report (ie pre any analysis to check if it eve is a bug or not, never mind looking to see if a fix could be applied). I was hoping that it might help distinguish between new bugs and old systemic bugs from previous releases (although I've added all the detail in the bug reports anyway: presuming they've received them of course !).

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
Got it working again...had to go into device manager, uninstall driver "software", unplug, reinstall from the EZScan download from the website (driver within EZScan package), now it sees the scanner...in case anyone hits the same snag.

Paul

Never mind got it working.................

Last edited:

SOFA_KING

I hate to be the first to report a problem with this latest firmware release that may have fixed some other major problems, but...

THE DREADED UNDER SQUELCH HISSING AND POPPING NOISE, REMAINING OPEN DURING SCAN ON CHANNELS PROGRAMMED FOR DIGITAL (only), IS BACK.

To explain the condition further, I scan all channels in two entire bands with every channel programmed for digital only. I harvest digital NAC codes and UID numbers over long periods of time to establish who uses these frequencies and where they are located. I have been doing this without issue ever since I purchased my TRX-2. When the DMR update came out I plugged a standard /\/\otorola speaker into the TRX-2 to bring the already good audio out to absolute great audio. Loved it! And when NXDN came out I continued the same operation with the external speaker plugged in. No squelch issues through any of this with the squelch right at the threshold of 9. No noises, and very good weak signal reception. Couldn't ask for better squelch action. Volume set at 1, I could sleep through the night, as the background noise was basically nonexistent. And sticking my ear up against the speaker listening for open squelch under the digital cloak proved there was little to no issues other than a little opening while scanning over active channels without the proper form of digital data.

After the update to CPU 4.2 yesterday (1/20/17) I immediately noticed popping and hissing under the digital cloak just like what I used to hear on my old PSR800 and WS1080. And it was loud enough to keep me awake. (I leave the scanner scan-searching 24x7 to collect data.) But besides being loud, even with the volume control turned all the way down to MUTE, I heard the classic long sections of cycling hiss for 5 to 8 cycles every time it made a pass through the lower end of my VHF range. Turning the squelch up may have shortened that repeated open squelch cycle a little, but not much. Maybe, just maybe, it was doing that prior to this update, but I never heard it. Not one night since I have been running this same setup did I ever hear this noise prior to the latest update. DSP level, ADC gain and DAC gain levels are all the same at 74/0/0.

The bottom line is that whatever was changed with either the squelch or gain level (post gate), that was a bad change. The pops and hiss coming out of the external speaker, or even the internal speaker, are loud and annoying in a fairly quiet room. Why did this change happen? It worked great before the update!

I would really like to enjoy the NXDN fixes, and don't want to roll back, but I may have to as the noise is so loud that I can't sleep with it like that. So now I need to figure out how to go back to 4.1. :(

Phil

Ubbe

They might have changed some audio gain settings. Try changing DAC to -10 and see if that makes any
difference. If so, adjust to proper balance between audio levels of analog and digital without getting the annoying pops and cracle noticable to you at night.

/Ubbe

SOFA_KING

Phil,

Roll back software can be found here: https://whistlergroup.com/pages/scanner-firmware-installers-previous-versions

However it is only at CPU version 3.3 for the TRX-2. Wendy will need to get the previous versions up to date.

Thanks, Dave. I'll inquire about it.

I sure hope they fix it. Awfully noisy situation. Hard to believe they released it that way. At first I tried to rationalize it by thinking they might have boosted the overall volume to make the scanner capable of getting louder, but after checking the range of volume I don't see any better voice level, just more noise. Not good!

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.