New Remtronix VHF/UHF 2 meter and 440 MHz Antennas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It would be interesting to see some tests run on these!

The Remtronix REM-VU100B is a very compact flexible antenna providing extremely good performance in the 2 meter and 440 MHz amateur bands.
It has +6dB minimum gain over a standard antenna.
This 15 inch tall antenna terminates to a male BNC connector.

The new Remtronix REM-VU100S (shown right) is the same, but terminates to an SMA connector.

[source]

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
I've had the REM-VU100B for several months now. I live in a basement apartment and this actually lets me use my scanner on a VHF system here (Until I one day convince my landlord to let me put something on the roof).

If anyone wants some tests done, just let me know how to do them and I can provide numbers/feedback. I'm still fairly new to scanning but happy to learn how to view data for this.

mule1075

Feed Provider

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
What were you using for an antenna in the basement prior to getting a Remtronix? Was it a big improvement or small?

I only had the stock antenna that came with my scanner - which is obviously pretty rough, and would be terrible in a basement. Most of my scanning is done while mobile and I have a nice antenna on the car, but didn't have much at home other than the stock antenna.

I just fired it up to compare - with the Remtronix, I had good, clear reception, 5 solid bars on my BCD325P2. I swapped for the stock antenna and it dropped to nothing, one bar here and there, no real reception.

ibLFcoy.jpg

Just for comparison of the two... 1 bar on the 436HP on stock antenna, 5 bars up on the Remtronix/325.

Not exactly a very scientific comparison or anything but it seems to be doing the trick.

I've also previously, outdoors been able to pickup a second site on the same system a few towns over from me with the Remtronix as well.

Last edited:

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The statement that it has 6dB gain over a standard antenna is utter nonsense. What is a "Standard Antenna?" Antenna analyzers give mixed results with HT antennas. They don't measure gain. Gain needs to be stated in dBi or dBd to have any meaning. Check out the Diamond SRH770S. It is a 3/8 wave on two meters and 3/4 wave on 440. Claims 2.15dBi on 144 and 4.5 dBi on 440. It's 27.5 inches long!

I have tried the Remtronics and old Radio Shack 800MHz antennas. They do outperform stock antennas.

When used on scanners 2/440MHz antennas are not optimal because they are not tuned for public safety bands. They are optimized for transmitting on ham bands. Gain figures are stated for ham use.

There is no magical HT or scanner antenna. I've tried many Diamond, RS, GRE, Smiley, Comet, Austin and others. Some work better than others. None are miraculous.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I only had the stock antenna that came with my scanner - which is obviously pretty rough, and would be terrible in a basement. Most of my scanning is done while mobile and I have a nice antenna on the car, but didn't have much at home other than the stock antenna.

I just fired it up to compare - with the Remtronix, I had good, clear reception, 5 solid bars on my BCD325P2. I swapped for the stock antenna and it dropped to nothing, one bar here and there, no real reception.

Just for comparison of the two... 1 bar on the 436HP on stock antenna, 5 bars up on the Remtronix/325.

What bands, VHF/UHF, 800 MHz?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The statement that it has 6dB gain over a standard antenna is utter nonsense. What is a "Standard Antenna?" Antenna analyzers give mixed results with HT antennas. They don't measure gain. Gain needs to be stated in dBi or dBd to have any meaning. Check out the Diamond SRH770S. It is a 3/8 wave on two meters and 3/4 wave on 440. Claims 2.15dBi on 144 and 4.5 dBi on 440. It's 27.5 inches long!

When used on scanners 2/440MHz antennas are not optimal because they are not tuned for public safety bands. They are optimized for transmitting on ham bands. Gain figures are stated for ham use.

To be fair, those are Remtronix's claims not mine. I'm just wondering if it might work better for VHF/UHF airbands than the Diamond RH77CA..

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
What bands, VHF/UHF, 800 MHz?

VHF for this system, 142mhz is where the control channel is. I’ve tried a UHF system here as well and received it OK from down here, though the distance to the tower is much further.

Never tried it for 800 at all as there’s none in my area to listen to, and when I do in another area I swap to the 800 antenna.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
To be fair, those are Remtronix's claims not mine. I'm just wondering if it might work better for VHF/UHF airbands than the Diamond RH77CA..
I did not mean to suggest that you were making any claims. I did see the claim in advertising for the antenna.

I suspect that the antenna will perform about the same as the Diamond. It is tuned for 144 and 440. Too short for VHF air and too long for UHF air. It is a ham radio antenna after all. It is not intended to be broadband. The air bands are so wide that nothing but a discone will cover them. Alternately a quarter wave whip set for the desired air band frequency will out perform the Diamond or Remtronix.

It is important to keep in mind that Japanese antennas are tuned for their ham bands. Two meters is 144-146MHz and 70cm is 430-440MHz over there. I asked in a ham radio store in Tokyo (Rocket Radio) if they made antennas for the US bands. The answer was no. They do, of course, make HT's and mobiles for US bands to sell in the US.

That said, for reception SWR is not very critical compared to transmitting. Also, with one exception (the Diamond SRH320A) I have never had any HT antenna show a low SWR when attached directly to my antenna analyzer. Too many variables, I guess. Even with the 320A the SWR rises quickly outside the ham bands. By the way, that antenna might be worth trying for Mil air since it is designed for 144/222/440.

I should mention that the old RS 800MHz and the Remtroniix (same antenna I think) are dramatically better on 800MHz. Many years ago I had to be in the area of LAX for a meeting. I programmed the LAFD 800MHz frequencies into my scanner and tested several antennas. The RS was so much better I almost couldn't believe it. As I listened there was an alarm for my hotel! False, but I heard the whole thing.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I did not mean to suggest that you were making any claims. I did see the claim in advertising for the antenna.

I suspect that the antenna will perform about the same as the Diamond. It is tuned for 144 and 440. Too short for VHF air and too long for UHF air. It is a ham radio antenna after all. It is not intended to be broadband. The air bands are so wide that nothing but a discone will cover them. Alternately a quarter wave whip set for the desired air band frequency will out perform the Diamond or Remtronix.

It is important to keep in mind that Japanese antennas are tuned for their ham bands. Two meters is 144-146MHz and 70cm is 430-440MHz over there. I asked in a ham radio store in Tokyo (Rocket Radio) if they made antennas for the US bands. The answer was no. They do, of course, make HT's and mobiles for US bands to sell in the US.

That said, for reception SWR is not very critical compared to transmitting. Also, with one exception (the Diamond SRH320A) I have never had any HT antenna show a low SWR when attached directly to my antenna analyzer. Too many variables, I guess. Even with the 320A the SWR rises quickly outside the ham bands. By the way, that antenna might be worth trying for Mil air since it is designed for 144/222/440.

I should mention that the old RS 800MHz and the Remtroniix (same antenna I think) are dramatically better on 800MHz. Many years ago I had to be in the area of LAX for a meeting. I programmed the LAFD 800MHz frequencies into my scanner and tested several antennas. The RS was so much better I almost couldn't believe it. As I listened there was an alarm for my hotel! False, but I heard the whole thing.

No problem. For those who know me I like to experiment with numerous antennas for various reasons. At the moment I'm restricted to what I can do in my office on a 10ft light stand. The Remtronix is going on a mag mount on a steel file cabinet. I get some surprising results sometimes both good and bad vs what science says. I'm wanting to get some good antennas, pre-assemble them on a tripod/masts with coax and pay my roofer to install them on the roof. He's a fireman and is very versatile.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Besides Diamond and Remtronix, Comet makes almost identical antennas. Probably some others too. Using ham radio antennas for scanning is problematical. I used to have a 6m/2m/70cm antenna on my car. Would the 6m work on CHP at 42MHz? Might as well have used a dummy load. VHF and UHF not so bad. It was good on 6m too.

Since there are far more ham radio antennas out there, people will use them on scanners. If they work well for your situation, great. If they don't get something like an Austin Condor. It is specially designed for scanner use. VHF/UHF - not low band.

Always remember that the best antenna to use is the one that works best for you. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. Your mileage may vary.

N4DJC

Multi-band antennas are compromises, without traps they seldom resonate well on multiple bands. Maybe a telescoping antenna using a good analyzer might be a better set up. Asking a VHF antenna to be great on 800 mhz is a stretch I'm sure. I've been using some frequency specific Smiley's and they work pretty well, they have maybe a 5 mhz range either side from the center frequency. Being a ham for over 40 years, I shouldn't have been surprised. Tuning a Larsen 2 meter antenna by cutting the antenna and checking it on a Bird 43 was standard procedure for years, still is but I seldom see many doing it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.