New RI scanner user

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannaMary

UPDATE: Good news! Since my last post earlier this year, I've been successfully receiving Little Compton and Tiverton...most of the time. I found a sweet spot in a window that gets better reception than other parts of the house and have learned how to delicately balance the antenna mast for best reception.

I discovered that the antenna connection on my HP-1 is extremely sensitive to how tightly or loosely the mast is attached whether I use the original HP antenna or my newer Remontrix antenna. Too tight and no reception...too loose and no reception...even one more twist in either direction and I lose the reception. The best reception is when the mast is slightly loose and I prop it against the window to keep it upright. Since it happens with both antennas, I suspect the problem is with the HP internal connection, but not worth trying to fix. I'm just glad that I can get the thing to work most of the time.

I appreciate all the help and advice and consider my problem solved.

kr19

Premium Subscriber
I'm glad you're having better luck with your HP-1. I gave up on mine because of similar signal and simulcast troubles, and went with the BCD436HP... and never looked back. I had the same observations with the antenna connection on the HP-1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stewj

Premium Subscriber
Somewhat on topic but not directly related to current discussion. I've been a scanner user for many years and just purchased a BCD436HP to move into the 21 century. Quickly figured out the very basics but it's still somewhat intimidating. Sadly, as I've read in numerous other threads, Uniden really doesn't do a very good job with their user manuals.

I'm hoping to find a local (general Warwick area) enthusiast, who's familiar with the BCD436HP, that might be willing to meet me at a local Dunkin for a free cup of coffee in exchange for a crash course on this unit.

Any takers?

John (Stewj)

iggywfd

Stewj,
Its really not that hard once you get the hang of it....Im in NRI and will try to free up some time next week to show you.

Iggy

frankie811

Garbled Communication

I understand that there is/are scanners available that eliminates distortion & garbled voices on digital systems. Could someone please post which brands/models address this problem. Apparently the problem lies in having multiply transmitter sites broadcasting simultaneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.