new Rome City radio system to be trunked UHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0untyb0y

on a "drive" to Rome last night the 800 MHz system still is coming in strong. any time table on when the new system will phase out the old? last I knew it was "end" of September.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
I haven't caught any UHF antennas on any of the police cars yet. That will be a give away that it is coming. The other give away would be the change in the dispatch consoles for the new radios in the back, and the UHF Yagi on the tower out back. Perhaps the end of October?

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
I haven't caught any UHF antennas on any of the police cars yet. That will be a give away that it is coming. The other give away would be the change in the dispatch consoles for the new radios in the back, and the UHF Yagi on the tower out back. Perhaps the end of October?

i was recently inside the dispatch office in oriskany, and they still have the 800mhz system in place. to bad its being switched over. it seems like a city like Utica would want a new system, but that would be hard for JPJ because they run private customers off the same system as public safety. so much for state interoperbility. speaking of wich i believe its time for Lewis Couty go get off their low band =/ interferes with my computer so i cant scan lewis county and have the computer on at the same time.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
It was being set up to be a P25 system, look at the original license, before it was modifed to NXEDGE masks. Knowing how the NXEDGE system is set up in Rome, there are natural defects in the design.

The excuse used was a cost issue...funny part was they never priced TRBO...it was cheaper by about 10%

its all about the money now days, the county/city who ever is paying for it, theres no reason why a quiet city like rome needs to be trunked, look at watertown for an example they run on VHF radios i think they use 3 frequencies for the entire city and they work just fine, same as watertown fire. maybe rome should save money and go back to VHF. but this is just me ranting off, prolly should shut up now

c0untyb0y

its all about the money now days, the county/city who ever is paying for it, theres no reason why a quiet city like rome needs to be trunked, look at watertown for an example they run on VHF radios i think they use 3 frequencies for the entire city and they work just fine, same as watertown fire. maybe rome should save money and go back to VHF. but this is just me ranting off, prolly should shut up now

rant on. it's good for the soul.

c0untyb0y

i was recently inside the dispatch office in oriskany, and they still have the 800mhz system in place. to bad its being switched over. it seems like a city like Utica would want a new system, but that would be hard for JPJ because they run private customers off the same system as public safety. so much for state interoperbility. speaking of wich i believe its time for Lewis Couty go get off their low band =/ interferes with my computer so i cant scan lewis county and have the computer on at the same time.

BTW... look to have Utica in the county 911 center by Christmas. the CAD system is what's holding things up at the moment, from what I'm hearing. but they will be moved over by 31 December.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
BTW... look to have Utica in the county 911 center by Christmas. the CAD system is what's holding things up at the moment, from what I'm hearing. but they will be moved over by 31 December.

ya i see they have the stations set up, but waiting on the software. its gonna save a lot of time and lives by switching over. whenever im working in utica, and have an emergency i dont call 911, its faster to call the police dept directly lol, rather than being transferred 3 times

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
With Rome Police and Fire switched over to the new vhf system, does that include the highway department, and other city organizations? or are they staying with edacs?

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
The rest of the City was never on EDACS to begin with. I haven't run into the right people to ask what is going on. Been kinda staying out of city hall if at all possible.

As far as moving Utica to somthing else, JPJ can do whatever they want. They are good salesmen. They sold town of Lee Highway on MPT.

Matt, Watertown and Jeff Co. in general have their issues, they are working on them, check their FCC licenses. Centralized trunking has its benefits, most of which now aren't necessarily the increased capacity.

c0untyb0y

Rome is a digital island in the county analog ocean. When Rome was EDACS'd you could scan them. Now you can't.

Prospect62

its gonna save a lot of time and lives by switching over.

Spoken like a person who has no idea how bad the 911 center is messing up with the addition of NHPD's call/radio volume alone.

This is not a personal attack on any one dispatcher...it's not their fault, they're simply understaffed. I can tell you firsthand that if someone DOESN'T get hurt as a result of lackluster dispatching/call taking after UPD/UFD go live at OC, it'll be a surprise. Here's to seriously hoping they're ready.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
Spoken like a person who has no idea how bad the 911 center is messing up with the addition of NHPD's call/radio volume alone.

This is not a personal attack on any one dispatcher...it's not their fault, they're simply understaffed. I can tell you firsthand that if someone DOESN'T get hurt as a result of lackluster dispatching/call taking after UPD/UFD go live at OC, it'll be a surprise. Here's to seriously hoping they're ready.

Time for and upgrade and expansion maybe, and a director who knows what hes doing possiably. but yeah i see you point, and your right 100 percent

Prospect62

Yea they definately need to recruit/hire more and better personnel. Kudos to some of the "seasoned" vets up there, they do a fine job. But even the best dispatcher makes mistakes when they are responsible for two radios plus the phone. We shall see...

c0untyb0y

Rome Cable fire

sure would have been nice to listen in on that one. thank goodness AmCare got toned out to standby, which came over on 154.370, so some of us had a heads-up about what that big plume of white smoke in Rome was all about.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
i bet amcare is pissed now that they are not able to listen to situations before they are toned out to them on county fire. seems to me amcare would have been put on the system as well as long as they pay for the radios privately. i know when i was working at stone hedge they had portaable scanners besides their two-ways

stagnuts

I know the owner of Amcare is looking into getting into the system. Yea it sucks we can't hear Rome FD or PD anymore before being dispatched. But hopefully with some money we will be able to. I use to carry my scanner in my rig on every shift. It's not as bad as u would think. Amcare gets dispatched at same time as the volly squads and Rome so for the most part u can hear what is going on in Rome without listening to Rome themselfs. But it still sucks not being able to hear them anymore.

c0untyb0y

not that having a non-standards compliant digital radio system is a bad thing, except when it comes to... oh, say... law enforcement officer safety. a certain other law enforcement agency used to have an EDACS radio in their patrol cars with Rome police and fire programmed in addition to Utica and New Hartford. so now if the proverbial "stuff" hits the fan in Rome, Oneida County 9-1-1 has to humanly relay that to county MRD versus just tuning in on the EDACS radio.

fire & EMS fairs no better in this respect either.

what a HUGE step forward in interoperability!

Status
Not open for further replies.