New roof killed reception all but UHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

delta_p

I have a 800 MHz yagi and a 2m/70cm log periodic on rotors in my attic. I had to get the roof replaced due to wind and hail. The thicker felt and shingles was just enough to kill off the weaker 2m/70cm reception on the BR330T. My IC7000 run off the same antenna will still recieve them at about S5. My 396T or my BCT15 never would recieve them when the 330T would. Is there any tweak to BR330T to help recieve these? Or, is it time to finally move this antenna to an outdoor set up?

PP

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yes, imagine my dismay when I purchase my first house - big homeowners association with big restrictions... and I climb up into the attic and find that the insulation between the attic and the plywood for the roof is completely lined in alumiunum foil... talk about a dead RF environment.

I ended up mounting the scanner antenna on the chimney anyway (it's hard to see because it sits below the apex of the house). After two years no one has even noticed it.

delta_p

Figures...:p

We all gotta figure it out on our own somehow. :wink:

PP

KC0QNB

Is this when I tell you "shouldn't done that already?"
Blantoni do you read you "visitor messages"? posted a question for you

digitalanalog

Move to the country, put up the tallest antenna you can and look back on the ignorant people from the gated and stuck up communities and listen to what your actually missing with a real outside mounted antenna.

NO attic mounted antenna will EVER work like an outside antenna, EVER.......................

Mix the antenna's with the tree's and feel the breeze of radio reception at it's best.

IMHO.

af5rn

The thicker felt and shingles was just enough to kill off the weaker 2m/70cm reception on the BR330T.
You don't mention anything about 800mhz. Did it affect 800 reception? I would think it would be even more noticeable there, unless you are using a different (non-attic) antenna for 800.

Regardless, yes, it's time to climb that ladder! You'll be glad you did, because the difference in reception is beyond belief. You'll be completely amazed. Good luck!

Viper43

My house is all aluminum, roofing has the aluminum stuff plus aluminum siding, yet I still pull in most comms from Indy on a 396 with a RS 800Mhz antenna.
The good news is that due to the tornado that hit my house I'll be replacing the siding with vynle and the new roof won't have the aluminum either.

V

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
That's strange! I've never known roofing material to contain any metallic, or conductive substance. Maybe it was too many nails? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.