New Roseville P25 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigRoN18

Premium Subscriber
Roseville PD?

I am curious as to what has happened to the Roseville PD with communications today. They seem to have dropped off the P25 system. I am watching the control channel traffic. I would see it if they were using encrypted channels or other channels, but I'm just not seeing any activity. As of 16:35, the last police activity was at 13:27. Obviously, SOMETHING has to be happening, but I'm not seeing it. I am seeing all the other traffic, including all the other city services, just not police.

bigRoN18

Premium Subscriber
I am curious as to what has happened to the Roseville PD with communications today. They seem to have dropped off the P25 system. I am watching the control channel traffic. I would see it if they were using encrypted channels or other channels, but I'm just not seeing any activity. As of 16:35, the last police activity was at 13:27. Obviously, SOMETHING has to be happening, but I'm not seeing it. I am seeing all the other traffic, including all the other city services, just not police.

I am curious if they started a SECOND independent system with Phase II... I am seeing a 6.25 KHz constant signal on 852.375 MHz. My software, unfortunately, cannot handle Phase II control channels or traffic.

crucialcolin

I heard them having issues overnight where some of the portables in use suddenly stopped being hearing dispatched and some basic troubleshooting taking place before I went to bed. I wonder if it's related.

Won't be able to have a look myself until I get home later tonight.

crucialcolin

Boy my last post didn't come out very well. I guess that's what happens when making a rushed mobile post from work lol

I am curious if they started a SECOND independent system with Phase II... I am seeing a 6.25 KHz constant signal on 852.375 MHz. My software, unfortunately, cannot handle Phase II control channels or traffic.

Your right something is up.. Even on my bcd325p2 which happens to be Phase II compatible I'm no longer picking up any traffic. This is with all listed system frequencies from the db programed in as well. I also checked on my previous scanner and can hear the digital control channel noise on 852.375 MHz.

* Edit just heard fire dispatch simulcast pop up confirming other traffic is still working on the system.

I'd say its not just your software if that helps :)

Last edited:

crucialcolin

Just adding had the genius thought of creating a new p25 system manual programed into the new scanner using all the different frequencies Roseville has(compared new vs old system page) . No dice.

Clarifying as well 852.375 MHz is the only frequency I hear any sort of control traffic on. All others appear silent.

crucialcolin

Ahha Found it! Looks like Roseville PD is currently broadcasting on 851.5125 mhz called 8TAC91 under the 800 mhz National Mutual Aid/Interoperability System. Something must of broke the other night.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have been monitoring this system with UniTrunker for weeks. The control channel does change often. If you stop getting traffic, check to make sure you have the presently active control channel programmed and unlocked.

crucialcolin

I have been monitoring this system with UniTrunker for weeks. The control channel does change often. If you stop getting traffic, check to make sure you have the presently active control channel programmed and unlocked.

Yeah it changed again this morning. 851.575 MHz I believe. Of course not much traffic on the system now with PD on 8TAC91.

bigRoN18

Premium Subscriber

Have YOU seen or heard any police activity on the P25 system today? I used to use UniTrunker before moving over to SDRTrunk. The one feature I miss from UniTrunker is that I could set one dongle for every frequency the system uses for a control channel so it will automatically switch to the active one when it changes, but I like many of the other features of SDRTrunk better, especially since I'm sharing my feed online. I can listen to talkgroups directly on my computer but NOT share them to the online feed, such as tactical channels, which I had to sign an agreement I would not send them to the online feed.

Since Saturday night though, I have not seen any further police activity, only fire, buses, and other public works.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Roseville P25

Have YOU seen or heard any police activity on the P25 system today?
crucialcolin said:
Ahha Found it! Looks like Roseville PD is currently broadcasting on 851.5125 mhz called 8TAC91 under the 800 mhz National Mutual Aid/Interoperability System.

I used to use UniTrunker before moving over to SDRTrunk. The one feature I miss from UniTrunker is that I could set one dongle for every frequency the system uses for a control channel so it will automatically switch to the active one when it changes,
I am using a tapped scanner. I only scan one bank/list with all non-related frequencies locked out, so it follows the control channel changing.

crucialcolin

Sounds like Roseville Police are currently testing the P25 system. I'm picking up test transmissions on both the dispatch and tactical talkgroups right now. Assuming all goes well I would imagine it wont be long until they switch back over from 8TAC91.

mkewman

The reason you haven't heard any normal police communications on the P25 system lately is that they've had several catastrophic failures of the system as well as coverage problems.

CBS13 did a story on the issues:
https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/201...g-new-roseville-police-communications-system/

It sounds like they're using a backup in the meantime.

Saturday night they had a complete failure of the system.

bigRoN18

Premium Subscriber
The reason you haven't heard any normal police communications on the P25 system lately is that they've had several catastrophic failures of the system as well as coverage problems.

CBS13 did a story on the issues:
https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/201...g-new-roseville-police-communications-system/

It sounds like they're using a backup in the meantime.

Saturday night they had a complete failure of the system.

I got a bit of a chuckle seeing the news story because they credited recorded audio of radio traffic from Broadcastify. The reason that amuses me is that I'm the one that feeds Broadcastify. It is probably best not to get the credit personally anyway. I see that they are back and active on the P25 system now that I've gotten home from work.

crucialcolin

I got a bit of a chuckle seeing the news story because they credited recorded audio of radio traffic from Broadcastify. The reason that amuses me is that I'm the one that feeds Broadcastify. It is probably best not to get the credit personally anyway. I see that they are back and active on the P25 system now that I've gotten home from work.

Lol that was my thoughts too knowing it was your feed myself.

It's been a few days now back on P25. Not sure I have noticed much of a difference in transmission clarity but it does seem to be working.

Last edited:

CPJC

I'm having an issue trying to listen to the new 25 system and I finally figured out that it might be my radio.

I'm using a TRX-1 and the problem is that I get about 1-3 seconds of a the transmission then it just cuts out. If there is a reply, sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't. I'd say I'm missing at least 75% of the communications. Doesn't appear to matter if it was initiated by Dispatch, Car or Handheld unit. Was I surprised to listen to Broadcastify and hear so much more than what I was hearing.

The radio is a TRX-1 and really just wondering if anyone else is listening with the same radio and having similar issues? If so and you aren't having the issue, any ideas?

I'm planning on posting in the Whistler group as well, but going to monitor other systems as well, to see if it is just the Roseville System or not. I know that I have issues with PCSO, but I have poor signal strength with that system so going to wait till I get a better antenna up.

Status
Not open for further replies.