New RS Scanner: 20-405

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this has been posted yet, so I will give it a stab. I wondered into a Radio Shack here tonight and found what appeared to be a re-badged GRE PSR-200. Upon further inspection, it was almost exact except the RS model had FM Radio built in. The price point is $99.99 and is catalog #20-405. Very neat, I guess it replaced the PRO 136.

On another note, the helpful clerk said Friends and Family will be out to employees the end of November, or early December. He did not know if it was going to be e-mailed out to customers, but he said his particular store's policy is to give the discount to "nice customers."

Also, he said you can give a valid e-mail address to a Radio Shack store for $10 off (or 10% off), sorry can't remember what the discount amount was, and it didn't help since I only remember the price of this new scanner being $89.99 after I gave him my e-mail. I am already on The Shack's list, and did not have the money to purchase anything tonight.

Edit: After coming back to the website, I checked the Wiki. There was the PRO-405 on there, with all the specs. Now, I check this site daily, and the forums multiple times. How did I miss the news of this new Radio Shack scanner?

Last edited:

jamesa53

There is a 20-404 on the Shack website, but the 20-405 doesnt exist on the RS Website. Perhaps it is joining the list of discontinued RS scanners.........

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
2000404 Handheld NON trunking programable scanner replacing the 2000135
2000405 Desktop NON trunking programable scanner replacing the 2000136

D

DaveNF2G

Is this possibly the PRO-107 iScanner that already has its own thread?

I just purchased this scanner new yesterday from my local radio shack here in East Stroudsburg, and I am very impressed with..

It has good, clear sound, scans well, receives well, I like the SAME option, and I definitely love the desktop styling.

My only complaint is that the orange back-light has no option to either shut it off completely, or some sort of a dimmer to tone it down. Being that it sits on my night stand, the light is bright enough to light the whole bedroom!

Still, for the price point, I'm very very happy with it.

Now,

if GRE would take the internals from a PSR600, and place them into a desktop case like this, I think they'd have an instant winner. I know I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Besides, this case has a much bigger LCD display area to utilize.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Joe.

nanZor

Re: the Pro-405

I'm glad it is working well for you - I too was impressed with the audio.

Appears to be a rebadged GRE PSR200. I note that GRE has updated the 200 to a "200U", which now seems to have CTCSS(PL)/DCS decoding.

For those in rf-congested metropolitan areas, the dual-conversion IF of 10.7 mhz might be an issue with images 21.4 mhz or so away from the real frequency.

The use of PL/DCS helps if the system you are monitoring uses it, but it doesn't really make the problem disappear.

Last edited by a moderator:

lefty01022

cant get my local police frequency

does anyone know how i can get my local police frequency the one they here it not right i live in chicopee,mass thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.