New RWC Site - Tonopah

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB7MIB

A new RWC site has been licensed out in Tonopah. I don't know yet if it's active.

If you're out in the area, or can get out there, try:

These don't appear to be Simulcast J frequencies. I'm not sure why they didn't expand Simulcast J to better cover the Tonopah area.

Check out some other updates from around the state at:

John
Peoria

caphab1

KB7MIB

The Burnt Well rest area is at about mile marker 86. There is a radio tower site on a small mountain right there. That may be the location. Maybe I can take a drive out there next Sunday and see if it is active.

I wonder what kind of range it has East and West on I-10? The Salome Highway is out there as well. It's just a dirt road south of I-10, IIRC, but it's paved on the north side, where it takes you out to Salome in La Paz County where it T's with US 60. (Eagle Eye Rd also T's with the Salome Highway. That'll take you north into Aguila and US 60 as well.)

I'm still curious as to why they didn't make this an additional Simulcast J site, rather than an IR site.

John
Peoria

Ravenfalls

Premium Subscriber
Buckeye did not want to expand.
J owned by Buckeye City. Buckeye will use the new system.

Tonopah probably a joint venture with Phx & Tonopah Fire. Phoenix is shown as owner.

KB7MIB

I took a drive out to the Burnt Well rest area again this morning. The site is still not yet active.

John
Peoria

KB7MIB

No, I was still too far East to catch any of the La Paz County sites. I was specifically trying to listen for them as well with my GRE PSR-500.

John
Peoria

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

KB7MIB

I might be able to drive out tomorrow and see if there's any actual activity on the voice channels.

John
Peoria

KB7MIB

@KB7MIB Next time you are out there, make sure to do a 700MHz search (769-775MHz) looking for new control channels. Maricopa County P25 system should also have a site coming online in the future. It is has been licensed for over a year, but not online yet:
FCC Callsign WRDZ254 (Maricopa County Office of Enterprise Technology) (radioreference.com)

You might find new AZWINS sites in your search.

Yep, there is an active control channel for Maricopa County's new site. 772.468750.

And the RWC site has an active control channel as well. 773.143750.

John
Peoria

KB7MIB

After at least 20 minutes of listening, there is no voice channel activity as of yet. I'm gonna head back into town.

John
Peoria

KB7MIB

RWC TG 1594, Wireless Radio Technicians, is active on the Tonopah site.

Still no voice activity on the Maricopa County Tonopah site. Control channel only.

John
Peoria

Status
Not open for further replies.