New Sarasota Member

Status
Not open for further replies.

JusticeSRQ

Howdy Folks I was reccomended to post in here I just joined and am having trouble getting any kind of transmission other than on weather frequncies. I was told my county (Sarasota) and most of Florida is Digital. I however just bought a RadioShack Pro94 scanner, i got it and an inch thick book call "Radio Shack Police Call Frequency guide" for 35bux. It was starting to look like i got taken which i originally thought i got a good deal. One of the folks in the general scanner forum told me to post here and see if anyone knew of any good local frequencies i could catch scince i have an analog scanner. I just checked Ebay and it looks like most of these pro94s are going for 80bux or better so im starting to feel better but id just like to hear something through this darn thing other than info about TS Faye lol thankyou folks.

JusticeSRQ

So youre telling me i wont be able to listen to anything at all? I was trying to find out other than the government folks that ive already been told are digital if there is anything else to listen too? Airports, Trains, etc??? Ive only picked up 2 things so far and im lookin for more. Right now ive tuned into WX channels and Hospital security although some of the arguing like little girsl the other day was a tad entertaining.

CanesFan95

Sarasota county can be monitored with a digital scanner. The PRO-94 is not digital capable. You'd have spend a chunk of change for a digital scanner. There are a couple of analog talk groups on the Sarasota system though, so perhaps the PRO-94 might work for those.

As for the Police Call book, how old is it? $35 sounds like a lot and all the info you can imagine is on the internet for free these days. Have a look at this:

http://www.tampascanner.info/

JusticeSRQ

the Police call book is from 2005 and i got the scanner and the book for 35$ so ive been had huh? well dangit

pawsrock

You said in your post that you knew it will not receive digital, but look at the database page.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=373

I have a old pro-2022 and I can listen to counties that are next to me. Also look for maritime frequencies. You can sometimes hear some things from them. Another way is to just scan the frequencies that your scanner covers. You can sometimes find things that others have not. Do not give up you will find stuff to listen to.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=373

Ron Fone

Rover

A pro 94 is a great deal for 35 bucks, I would never have passed that up! There shouild be tons of stuff to listen too over there... Air Band, Railroad, Marine, Commercial, Ham, GRMS/FRS , Civil Air Patrol. The database has listing of Florida "shared frequencies" that might have some activity between public saftey agencies and a good starting point...never know what might pop up...., Also look in Wiki for common frequencies used nationwide like the EMS channels as I find stuff poping up there as well. Also check the FCC database through RR for commercial stuff that might be of interest for you. I recommend reading up on the Wiki section and doing research there, I learned alot there about scanning. Also look for Monitoring Times Magazine and Popular Communications magazine at your local bookstore alot of good scanning and shortwave info in those magazines. And keep using the search button...before you know it you will have you own database.... Just my 2 cents...+ good luck...Rover

Last edited:

Rover

Don't forget the Forestry Division...in database for Fla...can be quite intersting

Also looks like the counties around you are monitorable with the Pro 94, not sure where you are located but seeing if you can hear them might be an idea....

Good Luck + 73....Rover

Last edited:

CanesFan95

Did you get both the scanner AND the Police Call book for $35.00 ? Or was it $35.00 for JUST the Police Call book ? Would you mind my asking, how much was the scanner ?

Status
Not open for further replies.