New Scanner and user (Need Help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bud4030

Premium Subscriber
Just purchased the radio shack (Digital trunking Pro-2096). Seems very difficult to program to me. I'm at a lost. I asked the radio shack dealer if they could program in the local county police & fire for me. They said sure, but I don't think they knew what they were doing because it happened so quick. Took it home and it doesn't scan their frequencies. The county has just switched to digital 800mhz freq. So I went to another radio shack and they sold me a programming cable & driver software. They said this will help me program this model. I didn't realize it didn't include the software until now. My computer is running windows xp, so were can I get software that will help me program this thing?? Does most county sheriff freq have their own talk groups on the new 800mhz channels?? It would be nice if I could just listen to my local county and fire without hearing the surrounding counties?? I'm not sure what the Radio shack put in this scanner, but can't seem to find it. They connected a cable to it and unplugged it and said here ya go its ready. Wow, I told them I didn't know it was so fast to program. Well when I try to scan it says all channels are locked out. I think this means none of the banks have programmed freq in them ?? You can see how lost I'm, any help would be great.

n2mdk

OK download Win96 from Starrsoft http://www.starrsoft.com/software/win96/ the next step is get the Premium Subscription from this website so you can use the software to download directly to the software.
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/subscription/
All channels locked out generally means nothing is programmed into the scanner. Radio Shlock uses ScanCat Lite so it's understandable nothing got programmed.
Use Win96 and you will be happy.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
You can easily check each channel and determine if anything is programmed by pressing as follows:
MAN>000>MAN.
Check second line of display for a frequency.
Then press and hold UP button while watching second line for any frequencies as it rapidly steps through the channels. This will check all 500 channels if desired.

bud4030

Premium Subscriber
I don't have a good understanding on trunking systems. I bought Win96 software and performed the web import. I selected the city of (Martinsville)-(Morgan) to xfer into my scanner. Not sure why it only sent the primary and alternate 800mhz freq. of the group of about 6 ? Also started to listen to these two freq, and what I heard was putman county along with Morgan County. I thought these freq were decated to Martinsville-Morgan? Am I missing something ?? I later manually added the other 800 mhz freq for Martinsville-Morgan on win96 and loaded my scanner, but not sure if I should have or not?

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
I don't have a good understanding on trunking systems. I bought Win96 software and performed the web import. I selected the city of (Martinsville)-(Morgan) to xfer into my scanner.
Guess you are discussing SAFE-T system.
Not sure why it only sent the primary and alternate 800mhz freq. of the group of about 6 ?
Starting with Pro-93 the GRE scanners use only controls for Motorola and P25 trunking systems. The scanner then finds the HEX number of the voice frequency broadcast by the tower (control) and converts it to DEC which is then displayed on line 2 during coms.
Also started to listen to these two freq, and what I heard was putman county along with Morgan County.
User radios affiliate with any nearby tower, thus anything they broadcast may go through your tower.
I later manually added the other 800 mhz freq for Martinsville-Morgan on win96 and loaded my scanner, but not sure if I should have or not?
Not required as mentioned above. Also, Win96 has a default box checked (bottom center) in the "Trunked System" dialog for CC Only. The user can also opt out of (Hide Alts) Alt Controls. This would be handy if you choose to use multi towers.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
...All channels locked out generally means nothing is programmed into the scanner. Radio Shlock uses ScanCat Lite so it's understandable nothing got programmed.
Or that all channels are locked out. And you are so right about the second part. :D

I don't have a good understanding on trunking systems. ...
In addition to the helpful advice given above, I suggest that you read the Trunking Basics article in the RR Wiki and also the fine explanation (PDF) by Paul on the Uniden site.

bobbyyoung

radioshack software pro96 vista

the radioshack soft ware will not download driver on vista

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
the radioshack soft ware will not download driver on vista
Welcome Bobby,

Do you mean the driver for the 20-047 cable?

If so, not Click Cancel in step 1.1 below.
1. Installing USB drivers on Windows Vista/XP/2000
To install any new driver on Windows Vista/XP/2000 you need to have administrator privileges.
1.1 Insert the USB cable 20-047 into the USB port on your PC. The computer will automatically detect it and the Found New Hardware Wizard will open. Click “Cancel” and remove the USB Cable.
1.2 Locate and execute “CDM 2.02.04.exe” in the supplied CD-ROM.
You can find “CDM 2.02.04.exe” in the following directory:
For Windows Vista: \Version1_2\USB Cable Driver\WinVista\“CDM 2.02.04.exe
1.3 When “CDM 2.02.04.exe” is finished, connect the USB cable 30-3290 to the USB port again.
1.4 PC automatically starts installing the USB cable driver.
When using Windows Vista/ XP, the following USB Driver installing message will be displayed on the task tray. ((The message may differ depending your operation system
version.)

Status
Not open for further replies.