SDS100/SDS200: New Scanner Anyone ? Uniden SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

BC_Scan

Any Canadians planning on buying this new scanner? While it looks great and exciting and I enjoy reading everyones experience I know in BC it would all but be usesless in so much as what it seems to cater to and that is the multipath issues many large trunk systems are having in receive mode.
I know in BC the only 700 Mhz system in Lower Mainland is fully encrypted and Alberta maybe a little better in terms of still able to monitor, Sask as well, Manitoba Fleetnet no issues, Ontario still Phase 1, Quebec locked down, East Coast PEI, Newfoundland , New Brunswick MPSRN no issue, who have I missed ?
As we are relgated to listening to other than Emerg Services on a large scale in a lot of Canada my 436 & 536 with paid upgrade I get all the DMR/NXDN I can handle,
Don't get me wrong I would love to have shiny and new have but cant justify 650 US for a unit that the only difference for me and my 436 & 536 would be a fancier display.
Just curious how many units Canada could sell.
Still loyal to Uniden non the less.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Absolutely will not waste money on another scanner with all interesting things encrypted.

smason

I think I might have enough scanners. Pro 43, 2004, 2006, AOR1000, BCT15, BCD996, PSR600, Pro106.
I've never really had a desire to get a DB based scanner, I'm fine with programming them. Maybe I'd change my mind if I tried one, dunno.
Wish one of them did DMR and DStar, but my handful of SDR units and software can handle that I guess. Otherwise, can't see the need to ever buy another.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Does DMR (with upgrade). And, just as manually programmable as any other scanner. You can ignore the dB if desired.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I'm probably going to get one eventually, but I like others don't have $800+ in disposable cash lying around at the present moment. Alberta has extremely little simulcasting issues (only the Edmonton node of AFRRCS as far as I am aware) so that part doesn't relate to me, but the multicolor display and the improved overall performance is appealing. And I can find plenty of things to listen to - in fact, my x36 favorites lists have grown instead of shrunk lately.

Synchro39

Premium Subscriber
Just out of curiosity who did you order from, and if you don't mind sharing, what did you pay (ballpark amount is OK)?

scannermaster 649.00 usd about 950 canadian including freight and exchange because i find nobody with free shipping to canada i know radio world is less expensive in canadian dollar but don't show any in stock when i checked and he will only ship to my home not at my work

W4ELL

Feed Provider
Does DMR (with upgrade). And, just as manually programmable as any other scanner. You can ignore the dB if desired.

This... if I were only allowed to scan the database, I wouldn't have purchased ANY of the HP capable scanners.

I have a couple of 436s, a couple of 536s, and an SDS100 and the only time I have used the database on any of them was when I was traveling and wanted to quickly scan the area I was in. I program and customize them all exactly the way I want to... no DB required.

The SDS100 is AMAZING by the way. I don't have any digital simulcast systems near me but I bought it mostly for the screen and ability to monitor simulcast where ever I may go. I am not disappointed in the least.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The dB is great for traveling, plus a time saver for programming your own stuff. You can start with the system from the database and modify at will (saving you from having to retype all site frequencies and channel descriptions for the channels you want).

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
The dB is great for traveling, plus a time saver for programming your own stuff. You can start with the system from the database and modify at will (saving you from having to retype all site frequencies and channel descriptions for the channels you want).

I don't find the hobby dead in Alberta because of AFRRCS. Two friends and I are expecting three units today from Scanner Master. I don't use the database here in Edmonton but sure would if travelling.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
GPS Central Calgary

GPS Central in Calgary will be selling it for $829 CDN same price as Radio World Toronto, They should have stock early next week. Shipping to me in Edmonton has been very reasonable in the past.

yeg_scan

I don't find the hobby dead in Alberta because of AFRRCS. Two friends and I are expecting three units today from Scanner Master. I don't use the database here in Edmonton but sure would if travelling.

Harry .. maybe someday you can show it to me. Have not listened to a scanner for months now and not missing it. Sad that everything worth listening to will be encrypted.

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
There is a lot I would spend 1K CDN first before I do on a toy. Thankfully EMS is still receivable here (Except popo) and is exciting to listen to for the most part. I've always listened to other agencies so there is still a lot to listen to.

Status
Not open for further replies.