New Scanner Arrived

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gethen

Premium Subscriber
The BCD996XT arrived today and is ready for uploading, usb drivers are installed and everything seems to be ready. I'll be using Freescan to load everything, I watched the 2 videos on the freescan user guide page and I believe I shouldn't have any problems. Although I do have a few questions, when making a system as in the video, he gave each system, conventional and trunking the same quick key number. I'm assuming that I would have a different quick key number for every system created. The other question was, after creating a couple of systems and saving that file and later I want to add more systems, I would want to open that file and add the newly created systems to that file. I hope I'm making some sense here, my apologies for these redundant type questions. Thanks for help as well!

Gethen

Premium Subscriber
Never Mind

I believe I figured it out, thanks to the videos on the user guide page, I went back and watched them again and it answered the question I posted prematurely! Hard part is done now I just need to learn how everything on the scanner works.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Premium Subscriber
Bookmark the BCD996XT Easier-to-Read Manual and use it as a reference.

Add 1 or 2 systems at a time. Don't get overwhelmed by the features on this scanner, you will probably never even use half of them.

One trick I use is include the SQK number in each alpha tag. That way you will know which SQK is assigned to each system at a glance, and by scrolling through "Program Systems" in the menu.

teufler

Premium Subscriber
Demotte file

This is a Freescan 2.17 file fir Jasper County and surrounding counties. It is zipped, so use a zip utilty to unzip it. I covers the Indiana HP groups also.

Attachments

Gethen

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all for the advice, I have printed out the easier to read manual for 24/7 reference. I'll have to agree about a lot of the features will never be used, certainly in the area I live in. Using the RR database to set this scanner up was a breeze, the only thing I'm curious about is when I assigned the quick keys, the ones that were left unused I unchecked, is this something I wanted to do?

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
I believe I figured it out, thanks to the videos on the user guide page, I went back and watched them again and it answered the question I posted prematurely! Hard part is done now I just need to learn how everything on the scanner works.

If those were the videos I created, I'm glad they helped. Nothing better than knowing someone benefited from them.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all for the advice, I have printed out the easier to read manual for 24/7 reference. I'll have to agree about a lot of the features will never be used, certainly in the area I live in. Using the RR database to set this scanner up was a breeze, the only thing I'm curious about is when I assigned the quick keys, the ones that were left unused I unchecked, is this something I wanted to do?

You really only need to check the system keys you assigned to a specific system and wish to monitor, any other ones can and probably should be left unchecked.

joel98223

Where would one find these "user guide page/videos" to which you refer? I just picked up a bcd996xt and I am a bit overwhelmed trying to learn the lingo/steps/software on how to program these new digi scanners. Thanks

joel98223

Thanks, I found the videos to be very helpful. I had been struggling with arc xt, with no luck. but with free scan, I can do this. .

Status
Not open for further replies.