New scanner decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

smason

Oh no, another "what scanner" question :)

Hi all.
My Pro 2006 has served me well, but needless to say, it's more than just a bit outdated.

I'm considering a new Uniden, or GRE scanner.
Thought I'd post here rather than the Uniden/GRE forums, as you guys seem pretty knowledgeable, and are familiar with the Calgary P25 stuff

Some issues I'm wrestling with:

Uniden vs. GRE
I was almost set to get a 996 when I read about the GRE 600, tough decision.
I will mstly use it remotely via software, as opposed to sitting at the scanner, so good remote control software is a must. I understand Butel has software for both? Is either one better than the other?
Is either one better at P25?

Desktop/mobile vs. handheld
I'm leaning heavily toward the 996/600, though having a handheld can be an advantage, if I want to take it with me. Obviously you lose a bit of audio quality on the handheld units.
Any other disadvantages of the handhelds on these newer scanners?

Thanks,

Steve

masonb

I never have had any problems with my 396, then again never herd anything bad about a PSR either.

smason

Ordered the 600, can't wait!

FYI: there's a discount available for RadioReference members at theradiocompany.com
See the thread in the GRE forum. Pretty darned good pricing, came to $430.00 before shipping.

If browsing their website, be sure to click on "surprise box" this gives you their best pricing. (odd, but gets around GRE's advertising requirements. Better than "call for price")

They will ship USPS (UPS to Canada is not a happy thing) upon request.

HDMechanic

At least with UPS you should have your ne scanner buy Friday if they sent it out today. My PSR500 is on its way back from being repaired. Cant wait to get it back. :). Cant wait to load 1.6 update into it and see if this helps the radio ID tracking on it. Yepie...

mark2117

Yeah I ordered my 396 through Durham Radio with UPS overnight express ($40.00) shipped today, delivered tomorrow. Can't wait!! I remember way back when I ordered my 246 from Scanners Unlimited, I didn't put the damn thing down for months...my girlfriend isn't going to be impressed haha.

zanedog

Get an Icom R20 to go along with it.
Then you'll have the do all duo.

BTW, Durham radio were the only guys in Canada that I could find with an R20 in stock. Larry's a great guy as well.

SCPD

QRT
Uniden Firmware update

I should have results of a side by side test between the Uniden 396 T with Beta 2.9 firmware next to a GRE PSR 500 monitoring CPD by late Tuesday.
Did Uniden get it right this time?

SCPD

QRT
I should have results of a side by side test between the Uniden 396 T with Beta 2.9 firmware next to a GRE PSR 500 monitoring CPD by late Tuesday.
Did Uniden get it right this time?

The tester last night confirm beta firmware 2.9 demostrated improvement decoding Apco 25 monitoring Calgary PD. Last night the tester was able to get hold of the same model Uniden with the current firmware release and put it side by side with a GRE 500

The tester recommends those in Calgary update thier Uniden to the firmware 2.9.? scheduled for release on September 29

Status
Not open for further replies.