New scanner dedicated to Unitrunker

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlashSWT

I've been using a RS Pro-93 with discriminator tap as my Unitrunker radio for years and it still works great.

However we've got several 700 MHz systems online in the area and while you can program the Pro-93 to scan 700 using software, it just isn't getting a good enough signal to decode in Unitrunker.

I have a feeling there isn't going to be a cheap option out there, but I'm looking for suggestions on a receiver I can get to feed Unitrunker systems in the 700s. I'm not actually going to use it for anything other than feeding Unitrunker.

Thanks for your thoughts!

SRSP2282

Premium Subscriber
I use a $20 SDR dongle with unitunker.

Take a look at this page. It has a pretty nice guide on how to use unitrunker's new built in support for SDR receivers. RTL-SDR Tutorial: Following Trunked Radio with Unitrunker - rtl-sdr.com The writeup uses a 800mhz system as an example but the SDR receivers it mentions will have no problem with picking up 700mhz. Also, it talks about receiving the voice transmissions with a second SDR. If all you want to do is display control channel data you can ignore that part.

There are a few other methods as well that use a 3rd party piece of software like SDR Sharp...

If it seems interesting to you try searching around on the forums for SDR and Unitrunker. There are a lots of great posts that discuss SDR for control channel decoding.

Also search for "SDR Unitrunker" on youtube. Lots of folks have made videos going over the setup.

It may seem daunting at first but its really not that bad to get setup, and there is tons of support and tutorials out there.

For $20 and some free software Im more than happy!

FlashSWT

<jaw drops> WOW!

Thanks Jay, that is one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time! Obviously I haven't been keeping up with developments in this area…

I've got two NooElec RTL2832U's on the way already and can't wait to start using them. It's kinda scary that I'm more excited to receive these than the Uniden BCD536HP I ordered earlier in the week!

Thanks again for pointing me in this exciting direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.