BCD436HP/BCD536HP: New scanner... Dim Lcd barely readable

Status
Not open for further replies.

MourningRain

Premium Subscriber
I very recently got a Bcd436hp scanner.

I'm barely hearing much, even on the citizens bands, but that's probably something I'm doing wrong.

The screen however...
Even with the contrast at the highest setting; unless I have a bright light directly on the screen, I can't read anything on the Lcd screen.

It's fine with the back light on though. (which I wish I could figure out how to stay on always.. I set the duration to infinite and it still turns off after a bit)

I don't know if this is a faulty Lcd or what.
I'd hate to go through the hassle of sending it back for a new replacement and finding its exactly the same thing.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I very recently got a Bcd436hp scanner.

I'm barely hearing much, even on the citizens bands, but that's probably something I'm doing wrong.

The screen however...
Even with the contrast at the highest setting; unless I have a bright light directly on the screen, I can't read anything on the Lcd screen.

It's fine with the back light on though. (which I wish I could figure out how to stay on always.. I set the duration to infinite and it still turns off after a bit)

I don't know if this is a faulty Lcd or what.
I'd hate to go through the hassle of sending it back for a new replacement and finding its exactly the same thing.

Here is something you need look into.

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/321603-bcd436hp-bcd536hp-repair-campaign.html

https://www.uniden.com/product-information/bcdx36hp-repair-campaign

Certain serial numbers effected.

MourningRain

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your reply.

I've actually been looking at that thread. But, it seems the issue people are having (besides rtc, which so far seems fine for me) is the back light getting dim and not a dim Lcd display in general?

I may be missing something

I'll have to research a bit more when at pc instead of small phone screen :)

kma371

QRT

kma371

QRT
the display on the 436 is the worst. since the display is set so far back from the actual clear plastic viewing area, the bezel edges cause a sort of shadow affect which makes it very difficult to read. the 396xt display was the best. very bright, no shadowing at all.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
You just push the On button and the light stays on forever. Or you can program how long you want it to stay on during squelch, if at all. Sounds like you just have a settings problem. Take your time and learn this scanner. It takes a while and I remember getting frustrated many times when I first acquired my BCD436HP. Download the manual to your computer which makes it easier to read and search.

mciupa

Database Admin
Thank you for your reply.

I've actually been looking at that thread. But, it seems the issue people are having (besides rtc, which so far seems fine for me) is the back light getting dim and not a dim Lcd display in general?

I may be missing something

I'll have to research a bit more when at pc instead of small phone screen :)

Open Sentinel. Click on Edit. Choose Edit Profile. Select Display Options.

Check what your Display Options are currently in Sentinel.

You can adjust Contrast up to 15 and dimmer from Off,Low,Middle,High.

markn455

Premium Subscriber
The display options help but they only make it "less Bad" the display on the 436 is very disappointing for a radio at this price point.

sprite1741

If you just got it return it. My 436 is 2 months old and the sd card is giving problems and has to be cleared by Sentinal, the speaker is rattling, UHF is weak and hisses along with 5 bar signals, and sometimes the push volume switch won't work right.

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
I agree, my 436 and 536 work fine. If you don't like it get rid of it otherwise enjoy it. If you get rid of it how much do you wane?

cpetraglia

I had the same problem with my PSR 600. One day the LCD just went dark. The light was fine. What I ended up doing was setting the contrast way down and the screen came back. I know the radios are not even close, but it cant hurt to try it.
Good luck. It sucks when a brand new device doesn't work as expected.

kc2kth

It might be helpful if the OP could post a picture of the display. It would help better judge the subjective term "dim" to determine if the radio is functioning as it should. I think there are a lot of other photos of other displays already posted for comparison, but I'm not sure how to quickly track one down with search (image search isn't a thing here yet I don't believe!). Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.