new scanner guy question

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclebob1963

Good Morning,
Quick question. I am new to scanning and learning how to search RR Frequency Database. The question is how do I determine if the frequencies are analog trunking or digital. For example: I am looking at the Mooresville, North Carolina Police Department and need to know what determines if these particular frequcies are analog or digital. Sorry if it's a dumb question-but just starting with this hobby.
Robert

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
There are no dumb questions!

Looks like your local trunked system does have digital channels - the description of the system says "Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface" which means you have both analog and digital. The talkgroup channels that have a "D" in the mode column are digital.

Conventional (non-trunking) frequencies that are digital will have "P25" in the mode column as well.

Welcome to the hobby!

Last edited:

RomeRon

Good Morning,
Quick question. I am new to scanning and learning how to search RR Frequency Database. The question is how do I determine if the frequencies are analog trunking or digital. For example: I am looking at the Mooresville, North Carolina Police Department and need to know what determines if these particular frequcies are analog or digital. Sorry if it's a dumb question-but just starting with this hobby.
Robert

From a search of Google, county of mooresville nc, it is Iredell County

Here is the database Iredell County, North Carolina (NC) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Here is the database for Mooresville, NC Motorola Type II SmartZone System, Voice: Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface,

Mooresville Trunking System, Mooresville, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to Radio Reference! If you have questions,feel free to ask.

KG4EMJ

In the database, the MODE column tells you. A=Analog. D=Digital, E=Encrypted (it looks like none are encrypted in this system).
Note, those are Talk Groups, not frequencies.

When I look through the database for my counties here in central KY, the "Mode" column does not have any such things. Mine only shows "FM" or "NEXEDGE".

So how do I know if it's digital or analog? I'm wondering the same thing the author of this thread is wondering.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I think you're mixing apples and oranges. Without knowing to what county you're referring, it sounds like you have a conventional systems page, while Dick is referring to a trunk system page.

Whether NexEdge is analog or not, the point is irrelevant, since NexEdge cannot be decoded by any scanner out of the box.

best regards...Mike

KG4EMJ

I think you're mixing apples and oranges. Without knowing to what county you're referring, it sounds like you have a conventional systems page, while Dick is referring to a trunk system page.

Whether NexEdge is analog or not, the point is irrelevant, since NexEdge cannot be decoded by any scanner out of the box.

best regards...Mike

True, but for the other 95% of the stations listed as "FM" the question is very relevant because if they are not digital, then I don't need a $450 scanner to do what I need.

It's Anderson Co., KY by the way.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This is the entry in our db for Anderson County...

Anderson County, Kentucky (KY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

None of the mode fields have 'P25' (which would indicate a digital sig) in them, so all of these are analog type (with the exception of the 2 or 3 NEXEDGE ones) - and receivable on any old scanner, with the exception of the LTR system - that would require an analog trunktracker with LTR capability (a digital trunktracker could do it too, but why kill a flea with an expensive sledgehammer?). There's one voice inversion freq that no scanner can handle, but there were (are?) schematics for boxes that would decode this on the net...

Our list of analog trunkers is below...

Category:Analog Trunktrackers - The RadioReference Wiki

best regards..Mike

Last edited:

KG4EMJ

This is the entry in our db for Anderson County...

Anderson County, Kentucky (KY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

None of the mode fields have 'P25' (which would indicate a digital sig) in them, so all of these are analog type (with the exception of the 2 or 3 NEXEDGE ones) - and receivable on any old scanner, with the exception of the LTR system - that would require an analog trunktracker with LTR capability (a digital trunktracker could do it too, but why kill a flea with an expensive sledgehammer?). There's one voice inversion freq that no scanner can handle, but there were (are?) schematics for boxes that would decode this on the net...

Our list of analog trunkers is below...

Category:Analog Trunktrackers - The RadioReference Wiki

best regards..Mike

OK that helps out some. I'm slowly catching back up to the times. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.