New Scanner Help For N. Fulton Area User

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdcahslax

Hello, I'm looking to buy a new scanner for use in the north Fulton county area, specifically the Alpharetta/Milton area. I have found the information on this page Fulton County Trunking System, Atlanta, Georgia - Scanner Frequencies and believe this to be the most helpful as to what frequencies I need.

However, I am not sure as to what scanner I will need to monitor the Alpharetta agencies, and how I would do it.

I see there is a 5-digit "DEC" value for each channel, is this just what goes after the decimal when I program? If so, what would go before the decimal? Would it be the control group numbers at the top of the page in red?

Thanks for helping out an obvious beginner here.

K4SVT

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well you would a scanner that will do Motorola Type II trunking...but soon fulton and cities within will be going Phase 2 TDMA and will be fully encrypted....sorry to burst your bubble but its going to happen one way or another...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

gh6406

Premium Subscriber
I currently use a Pro-106, and am able to monitor them. This is a site for you to check out: Atlanta Public Safety P25 System.

N8IAA

Hello, I'm looking to buy a new scanner for use in the north Fulton county area, specifically the Alpharetta/Milton area. I have found the information on this page Fulton County Trunking System, Atlanta, Georgia - Scanner Frequencies and believe this to be the most helpful as to what frequencies I need.

However, I am not sure as to what scanner I will need to monitor the Alpharetta agencies, and how I would do it.

I see there is a 5-digit "DEC" value for each channel, is this just what goes after the decimal when I program? If so, what would go before the decimal? Would it be the control group numbers at the top of the page in red?

Thanks for helping out an obvious beginner here.

FWIW, you can listen to Fulton county's present system with an analog trunking scanner. Starting, I believe, in July, they will be moving their frequencies to a Phase II digital system. Do a search here on RR for the topic.

Do not rush out and spend $500-600 dollars on the new Unidens until the system goes live, and the TGID's are confirmed as Encrypted, or T for Phase II. They could even be just D for digital TG's. No one will know until it rolls out.
HTH,
Larry

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
the new Fulton county system goes live July 1st per their contract with Motorola Solutions.

Fulton COUNTY talkgroups are reported to mostly be in the clear, phase 1, as they are not buying new subscriber radios, only infrastructure. The only officially supported encryption on the new system will be AES-256.

The north county agencies who are current subscribers who choose to remain on the system will be all phase 2 talkgroups. Encryption will be heavily used from what I have heard.

the contract with many of those cities for the county to provide radio services ends on Dec 31 2014, being that the so-called North Fulton URS doesn't even exist other than in some people's mind, something tells me that those cities will remain on the new FC DTRS.

that being said, a phase 2 scanner is a must. How much will you be able to hear? Probably not much as some comments have surfaced regarding the media beating response units to the scene. All the north county cities have APX series portables and mobiles, and all are flashed with both ADP and AES-256 on their MACE.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I currently use a Pro-106, and am able to monitor them. This is a site for you to check out: Atlanta Public Safety P25 System.

Fulton county is a separate and completely different entity than the city of Atlanta.

The city of Atlanta system is (and always has been) separate from the county.

The city of Atlanta system is not a part of the Fulton county system replacement, and is completely unaffected.

Status
Not open for further replies.