New scanner help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackbass

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and would like to say great site and thanks to who ever made it possible.

I'm looking at getting back into scanning and would like some help on getting an updated scanner. I have two older scanners one being a BC560XLT and the other a Pro-42.

I’m from Olive Branch MS and would like to scan Desoto Co. MS and Shelby Co. TN If someone could guide me in the right direction would be great.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hello Blackbass, and welcome.

Examining our database for your 2 targeted counties, it's clear that you need to narrow your focus a bit more. As an aside, anything you see here or in our wiki - which we'll get to in a moment - that's in blue is a link. Here are the database entries for DeSoto and Shelby counties;

DeSoto County, Mississippi (MS) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Shelby County, Tennessee (TN) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

There is quite a wide range of stuff here, and there are some digital systems. If you scroll down to the bottom, you will see a summary of the trunk systems that are in the respective area. Anything marked 'iden' is not monitorable by any scanner.

There are a number of questions to be asked; and our wiki can help you get started in answering them. Primary among these are do you want a handheld? Do you wish to mount it in your car/truck? Do you want something for your home? What precisely are you interested in hearing? Can you mount antennas outdoors?

To get yourself started, we need to go to our online wiki which has a section reserved just for newcomers. Go to the blue toolbar under the Scanner Master ad, and float your mouse over Wiki then select Wiki home You will immediately see the links for newcomers section I referenced before. Take your time; there's a lot to digest. Bookmark the 2 links I supplied earlier, and anything else you read that you don't immediately get. In particular, bookmark the Glossary - it contains a series of definitions of terms you will see here on RR again and again.

Start reading the Tennessee and Mississippi forums. Try not to read only new posts - get the lay of the land first. Start asking some questions to see which scanners folks in those areas are using. Be aware that posting the same question in more than 1 forum is considered bad form, so choose wisely.

Time to sit down and get something tall and cold to drink. Start reading, and you will, no doubt, come back with more questions. Ask - you will find lots of knowledgeable folks here.

There will be a test on Tuesday :.>> (Sri, that's the old teacher in me coming out...) You have already taken the first correct step in getting a premium subscription, so that's a good sign

73 (shorthand for 'best regards') Mike

Blackbass

Thanks ka3jjz,

After reading the forums and the Wiki. (It’s nicely done BTW) I’m looking to get the BCD996XT, it seems to be the good high-end scanner. Now I just need to start looking into a nice antenna. Once more thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Russ

Blackbass

Thanks ka3jjz,

After reading the forums and the Wiki. (It’s nicely done BTW) I’m looking to get the BCD996XT, it seems to be the good high-end scanner. Now I just need to start looking into a nice antenna. Once more thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Black, our wiki also has an extensive article on scanner antennas, including reviews. However, at this point, a bit more information is needed - most importantly, can you mount something outside (which is the best case), or can you get something into your attic (next best)? And specifically what bands are you looking to cover?

Most people use a discone or ScanTenna; however there are, as you will see, other options available. And don't skimp on the coax cable - doing so will quite literally cost you signal strength. The article addresses this as well

73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.