New Scanner in PA (BCD996P2) - Looking For Some Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Loooong time lurker, first time subscriber and now that I finally purchased a full scanner instead of using my XTS 2500 I can really get into the thick of it. I programmed in a couple of counties using Freescan and RadioReference's import feature, but I'm curious about a few things in terms of programming.

Currently, living in Easton with just my base station antenna I can generally hit Northampton and Lehigh County with ease, as well as Monroe County and NJSP off of the Easton repeater (if I understand correctly, that repeater will also broadcast all NJSP traffic regardless of location, example: I can listen to Atlantic City PD through there or am I horribly inaccurate on that - new to P25/digital etc..), but the problem is that I can't seem to hear anything from the city of Bethlehem.

I was wondering if I attached my FreeScan layout if someone would mind taking a look at it even to make sure I have things set up properly and logically, I'm really not sure what the best way to break banks down is (ex: should Northampton County be a bank as a whole or should NC PD and NC Fire/EMS be their own bank?)

Any feedback will be welcomed - I ultimately want to be able to host streams so I'd love to get this right.

Thanks!

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
the 996p2 doesnt use banks, they are a thing of the past.
also here is a piece of advice, read the manual and play with the scanner at the same time that way you will learn how to use it and program it.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Hi there & welcome to the RR forums!

that repeater will also broadcast all NJSP traffic regardless of location, example: I can listen to Atlantic City PD through there or am I horribly inaccurate on that - new to P25/digital etc..)
Atlantic City PD operates here (not NJICS nor the Mot Type-II State Police system) & they are fully encrypted so you won't be able to listen to them with a scanner at all.

I'm really not sure what the best way to break banks down is (ex: should Northampton County be a bank as a whole or should NC PD and NC Fire/EMS be their own bank?)
That's really up to you. If the moment comes when you want to hear fire/EMS without hearing PD, then by all means program them separate. The 996P2 uses dynamic memory allocation (System/Site/Group) structure rather than memory banks.
Here is the easier to read manual for your scanner, I'd suggest giving it a read so you can familiarize yourself with how it operates, particularly the section explaining dynamic memory

Best of 73's to you!

Last edited:
the 996p2 doesnt use banks, they are a thing of the past.
also here is a piece of advice, read the manual and play with the scanner at the same time that way you will learn how to use it and program it.

I think I used the wrong terminology. I do have groups and zones, with a logical breakdown. Thank you for clarifying. I try to play with this thing as much as possible - I do agree with a lot of the reviews I naively read, it's not a great beginner scanner.

Hi there & welcome to the RR forums!

Atlantic City PD operates here (not NJICS nor the Mot Type-II State Police system) & they are fully encrypted so you won't be able to listen to them with a scanner at all.

Thanks for the welcome! I just used them as an example (a poor one as I do see they are Encrypted). I was more referring to picking up out-of-state from NJ over the local Easton repeater (if all NJ traffic will flow through there).

I did attach my FreeScan (in case anyone cares to critique it), but specifically to see if I programmed NJ correctly or if I am completely misunderstanding how Trunking works with control frequencies (in terms of distance).

Attachments

• FirstScan2.zip
    12.4 KB · Views: 4
Had myself a beer and came up with the following answers to some of my questions:
  • Turns out I did program Bethlehem correctly, it helps to be within range and unobstructed.
  • Reading on trunked sites, control frequencies are run on repeaters just like a conventional channel, you need to be in range to pick up the data going in and out of it. So if I wanted more of PA covered as I travel, add control frequencies throughout various counties
  • The easier scanner manual is awesome, and I have a much better understanding of Quick Keys (thanks @doctordialtone)
I guess my next investment is a vehicle antenna as well as a home antenna so I can just unplug this guy and throw it in the car for the time being.

I really do appreciate everyone's replies, direction, and support.

I took a quick look and if the frequencies are correct it looks good!
Thanks @doctordialtone - much appreciated! I honestly don't know what I was too worried about. I really sat down and read, and re-read the information and feel much more confident in trunked systems/sites/and groups now. Hell, my original question reminds me of a 2 year old trying to talk about calculus, very poorly formatted and worded.

Also You Tube has a ton of good information on various topics .

I get pretty gun-shy about YouTube when just learning about something as there can be a ton of misinformation. I saw in other threads one member recommending a channel I believe it was "Ham Radio 2.0" or something like that, and it was met with replies that the information was wildly inaccurate (this may be a very hyperbolic recollection) but I think you get what I'm saying. Nevertheless, do you have any preferred resources in the YT world?

Status
Not open for further replies.