New Scanner Needed for Massachusetts Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

top13

Premium Subscriber
Hi All, I feel it is time for a new portable scanner.
My Pro-106 has and still does serve me well.
I listen to VHF Low, civilian aircraft to 1GHZ.
Probably not interested in simulcast, just DMR and P25 Phase I & II.
Cost is a consideration, the SDS-100 is more complex than I want. I don't want a radio that could take months to get everything adjusted right.
I am thinking the TRX-1. I know all radios have Pros and Cons.
I have had scanners or tunables since 1967. These new radios overwhelm me a bit.
Most of my travels are Mass., NH and ME.

Please Help, Thanks.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Being DMR is a requirement, see full list here of supported receivers. What is your budget cap? If you're certain you won't encounter any simulcast systems on your travels then consider the Uniden BCD436HP. I've owned two in the past, great performing scanners

top13

Premium Subscriber
Being DMR is a requirement, see full list here of supported receivers. What is your budget cap? If you're certain you won't encounter any simulcast systems on your travels then consider the Uniden BCD436HP. I've owned two in the past, great performing scanners
I was hoping to spend no more than $550. The Unidens are very nice. But when you add mode keys and a few accessories they are up to $650+. I may need NXDN if the railroads switch over. I could consider used radios.

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
The Pro-106 is a great scanner. It will receive P-25 Phase I. Are you programming the Pro-106 with your PC? Most of the new scanners require a PC to program the scanner. I think I would wait till CoMIRS system is up and running before you make any purchase right now. Except for DMR you will not gain much with a new scanner.
Plus the operation of the GRE Pro-106 is totally different from Uniden scanners.

top13

Premium Subscriber
The Pro-106 is a great scanner. It will receive P-25 Phase I. Are you programming the Pro-106 with your PC? Most of the new scanners require a PC to program the scanner. I think I would wait till CoMIRS system is up and running before you make any purchase right now. Except for DMR you will not gain much with a new scanner.
Plus the operation of the GRE Pro-106 is totally different from Uniden scanners.
Thanks for the advice. I do program with the PC. I find the Pro-106 easy to program using the RR database or manually entering frequencies into the ARC500 software.

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
The TRX-1($550.00) is an Ok scanner. From what I have heard it doesn't handle simulcast well. It also doesn't trunk DMR systems. That leaves you with a SDS-100 ($650.00) and to receive DMR upgrade another $60.00. Who knows if a new scanner will hit the market in the near future.

The nice feature of the SD card on a new scanner is when you travel your new location is on the SD card, just download to the scanner. But it also depends on the RR database being updated regularly for the area you are in.

Last edited:

top13

Premium Subscriber
The TRX-1($550.00) is an Ok scanner. From what I have heard it doesn't handle simulcast well. It also doesn't trunk DMR systems. That leaves you with a SDS-100 ($650.00) and to receive DMR upgrade another $60.00. Who knows if a new scanner will hit the market in the near future.

The nice feature of the SD card on a new scanner is when you travel your new location is on the SD card, just download to the scanner.
Ok, thanks for the info.

cg

Premium Subscriber
The State of Massachusetts is in the process of a multi year upgrade for the CoMIRS Statewide TRS. Simulcast P25 with some Phase 2 will replace the Motorola system. If using a handheld scanner other than the SDS100 on the simulcast system, the reception may very well be less that acceptable. You may not want to have to replace it in a couple years.

nikronzo

BCD325P2 is hit or miss with Phase II simulcast, usually miss in my experience. Cough up the cash now for a BCD436HP or SDS100 now so you don't have to later.

top13

Premium Subscriber
BCD325P2 is hit or miss with Phase II simulcast, usually miss in my experience. Cough up the cash now for a BCD436HP or SDS100 now so you don't have to later.
Thanks, I have the cash now, may not have it later. My understanding is you have to be close to a simulcast site to receive it. Is that correct?

nikronzo

typically yes but that's not the problem with the BCD325P2, it doesn't really have the right hardware to interpret simulcast signals. P25 simulcast uses CQPSK modulation which the BCD325P2 isn't really great at handling and sounds like ****. That's why they are cheaper than the newer unidens.

ecps92

Also keep in mind, from some of the FCC filings the updated system is going to be smaller zones
a major move away from the Large A/H or C and D zones that currently exist.

That again could change, but that is what was seen.
Thanks, I have the cash now, may not have it later. My understanding is you have to be close to a simulcast site to receive it. Is that correct?

top13

Premium Subscriber
Also keep in mind, from some of the FCC filings the updated system is going to be smaller zones
a major move away from the Large A/H or C and D zones that currently exist.

That again could change, but that is what was seen.
Ok Thanks. I like it the way it is now. I pickup A, C, D, F, and H just fine. So with the new system I will have to be north of Boston to hear Troop A.

ecps92

We won't know, till they begin implementation of the P25 system
IT would make sense to cut down the number of TG's allowed as some of the sites will be only 3-4 Voice channels
Ok Thanks. I like it the way it is now. I pickup A, C, D, F, and H just fine. So with the new system I will have to be north of Boston to hear Troop A.

garys

Premium Subscriber
That's about what I get on battery. Like you, I run mostly on external power. I move it from my desk to a table on the other side of the room whether I'm lounging or working.

It takes 2 AA.

They last about 5-6 hours depending on scanner activity.

Higher quality batteries may help that.

garys

Premium Subscriber
As you say we won't know for sure until it's on line, but my expectation is that there will be more granularity in what we hear depending on which simulcast sites are within your listening range.

We won't know, till they begin implementation of the P25 system
IT would make sense to cut down the number of TG's allowed as some of the sites will be only 3-4 Voice channels

Status
Not open for further replies.