New Scanner Needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrischris

Hi All,

I have a PRO97 that doesn't sound as clear as I would like. I have experimented with antennas but i am looking for a clearer signal...

Any advice on a model that would be good for beginners? I would like a similar unit that would work with win 97 to easily bring over my frequencies.

Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
While a new scanner is one solution, it's not the only one. You say you have experimented with antennas - which ones? In what kind of environment (car, home, etc.)? If it's at home, did you get good coax along with the antenna - that is by far the weakest link of the system, and one that costs you signal strength if you choose wrong. What freq range(s) are you interested in hearing?

You didn't say where you are (county/state is fine) - but Win97 only works with a few analog scanners - if your area is migrating to digital, a new scanner is going to cost you some bucks, barring a RS sale or finding one used. More specifics needed....Mike

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi All,

I have a PRO97 that doesn't sound as clear as I would like. I have experimented with antennas but i am looking for a clearer signal...

Any advice on a model that would be good for beginners? I would like a similar unit that would work with win 97 to easily bring over my frequencies.

Thanks
Hi Chris

The Pro-164 is the successor to the Pro-97, and programs with Win97. It's also rebanding-friendly, unlike the 97. Currently @ $159.99 on The Shack's website. GRE makes the Pro-164; their equivalent version, the PSR-300, has been discontinued, though you might still find one at a dealer, on eBay, or in the classifieds here. It also would program with Win97. GRE's replacement for the 300 is the PSR-310, which uses Object Oriented programming, the same structure as the digital PSR-500/-600 series. Win97 would not work for the PSR-310.

And Mike's advice on antennas is also good. A new scanner with an old, damaged antenna and /or coax is till going to leave you with poor reception.

vinzep491

Or you could go with a 197/106 while your buying to save some time when your area goes digital..

plus you get the cool color changing ID LED's

As Vinze mentioned a Pro 197 or Pro 106 or even a PSR 500 or PSR 600 would be a good way to go depending on where you live. Gives us your State and County where you live and we may be able to give some more suggestions.

While a new scanner is one solution, it's not the only one. You say you have experimented with antennas - which ones? In what kind of environment (car, home, etc.)? If it's at home, did you get good coax along with the antenna - that is by far the weakest link of the system, and one that costs you signal strength if you choose wrong. What freq range(s) are you interested in hearing?

You didn't say where you are (county/state is fine) - but Win97 only works with a few analog scanners - if your area is migrating to digital, a new scanner is going to cost you some bucks, barring a RS sale or finding one used. More specifics needed....Mike

From reading some of his posts it looks like King County of Washington State.
It looks like what he needs the sytem is uses analog trunk tracking which his PRO 97 should do the job.

vinzep491

Plus.. upgrading now maysaveyou some time and troublelater when your town upgrades to digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.