New Scanner, Needing in person help if possible please

Woodrow25

Premium Subscriber
Hi folks! New to the digital scanners. Very familiar with the conventional stuff but this digital stuff is over my head. I received a Uniden BCD996P2 for Christmas. I am trying to listen to the Monroe/Ontario County P25 System. I live in Ontario County, NY. I have the scanner, the subscription to Radio Reference and I am using ARC XT Pro software. I know there are "manuals" out there and written instructions on how to do this but I am still not understanding it. I am getting stuff transferred to the radio but it's picking nothing up. It shows it's scanning what I transferred but again, silence. Also if I scroll to a talk group...let's just throw out Ontario County Car-Car. The display is flashing it's searching for a control channel. I have read several threads on this. Am I screwed with this scanner? Is there someone near the Ontario County area that I would be able to sit down with and show me how to properly use the software and maybe show some tips/tricks? I am more of a "Have to do it to understand it" instead of just trying to read it. I can bring all the stuff and am just asking for someone's time. Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

Woodrow25

Premium Subscriber
Ok so after about 14 hours of screwing with this thing I think I got it. I would delete the post but don't think I can. Sorry

k2hz

Database Admin
Ok so after about 14 hours of screwing with this thing I think I got it. I would delete the post but don't think I can. Sorry
I suggest you see the numerous posts on here about the problems with use of a BCD996P2 to monitor P25 Simulcast system like Monroe/Ontario. You may be fortunate to live in a good location where it will work but it will be temperamental. See recent comments in the Broome County thread among others.

Woodrow25

Premium Subscriber
I was putting in the site that was closest to me and using only Ontario County. Added all sites and it seems...at least in my location that everything is coming off Monroe County South site. I am hearing stuff now which I wasn't last night after fiddling with it for hours on end. Yeah I saw the multiple articles on the simulcast issues with this scanner. Luckily I think I have it solved....at least for now. Thanks for the reply!

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind that a "site" on a P25 simulcast system isn't one tower ... it is several towers.

But you may have won the simulcast lottery, and the other towers for Monroe South may be far enough away that your scanner 'hears' just the closest tower and you'll get acceptable performance.

Keep in mind though that you may not hear all the Ontario County traffic on the Monroe South site.

k2hz

Database Admin
As you discovered, for best results, do not try to scan the multiple system sites. Pick the best one for your location. Monroe South often has most of the Ontario Law and Fire TGs active so it could be an alternative to Ontario North for you to get a good mix of Monroe and Ontario activity.

Woodrow25

Premium Subscriber
Appreciate all the advice. I really do. Thanks folks! Somehow I think I lucked out. I feel like I know just enough to get me into trouble!

Reactions: wtp

k2hz

Database Admin
Yeah spoke too soon. Still having issues finding control channel for tg's
Assuming the antenna is on the scanner or you can move the antenna - Try moving it around with the scanner on either Monroe South or Ontario North and try to find a spot where it get the best control channel reception. Sometimes only a few inches will make a difference.

Signal strength is not necessarily a good indication. You need to find a spot that minimizes the simulcast distortion. And, once you find it, it may change from time to time. You have to find a spot where you are getting error free reception of the control channel.

Major146

I purchased a Uniden BCD when I first wanted to have a scanner. I had the same troubles you are having. I got it off Amazon and sent it back and bought a Uniden SDS100 this solved my problem as this unit has the necessary circuitry to isolate which tower it wants to receive. The cost was almost double what the BCD cost but worth the money.