New Scanner Purchase Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterK33

Hello everyone,

I have a GRE PSR500 that I bought about 9 years ago and use all the time, but I'm getting the itch to purchase a new scanner. It's pretty much coming down to the SDS 100 or BCD 436HP. I don't see that there's a lot of simulcast in RI (unless I missed something), and the majority of features the SDS 100 has the BCD 436HP has as well. Yeah, the color screen is nice, but the optional upgrades look like they're available (DMR, etc...) if I needed to upgrade, and saving $150 isn't a bad option...

Any thoughts? I mostly listen to RISCON, and traditional analog public safety frequencies at work. Thanks in advance!

danwilks84

Premium Subscriber
Unless I am mistaken, RISCON is a simulcast system so you would want a scanner that handles simulcast well if you are primarily listening to RISCON.

I have been running the SDS 100 for about 3 months now and it works great with RISCON. I can't speak to the 436HP.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
My PSR 500 still is one of my faves. Do some research with others in your area. I have an SDS 100. I’m still Learning things 4-5 months later. I have a Unication G5 that is stellar on simulcast sites. Maybe pair the PSR 500 with a pager? Everyone is different.

I have to be honest - and I’m trying to stay positive. For the money and for me the SDS 100 is really not a great receiver

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
I don't see that there's a lot of simulcast in RI (unless I missed something),

Any thoughts? I mostly listen to RISCON, and traditional analog public safety frequencies at work. Thanks in advance!

RISCON is heavily simulcast and I speak from lots of first hand experience, if you're in the Providence area, you will experience simulcast distortion. Having lived in East Providence and spending a lot of time there still, I can tell you, that my SDS-100 blows the 536 in my car away with the reception of RISCON.

MisterK33

Ok, that makes sense. I didn't see "simulcast" on the RISCON database (or I just missed it!), but now that you mention it W1KNE, I do hear that distortion here and there.

I mostly listen to Providence services, so I appreciate the input from you all :)

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Needing and wanting, are two separate things, however when purchasing something new or up-to-date, I've found it's wise to invest in an item with a little extra "growing room". "Growing room" can help changes that might suddenly occur locally. "Growing room" can also help retain your interest longer, because it's harder to grow out of, if you've not yet used it's full potential. In the long run "growing room" usually saves you money in the long run, because you'll not get bored with your purchase and want or need to switch to something else in a year.

So, my recommendation, is of course the SDS100, but only if you have the time to play with it and learn it.

MisterK33

Thank you all for the replies!

W1KNE: I *totally* missed those!! I guess it explains why I sometimes miss the beginning of a Providence Police Dept transmission while scanning. Thanks for pointing them out ☺️

Omega: you are correct! Having more than you need at that time allows your hobby to expand in the future with minimal investment.

iggywfd

You might call Scanner Master, they are offering a deal on the SDS series, with free shipping and a reduce price programming fee.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
You might call Scanner Master, they are offering a deal on the SDS series, with free shipping and a reduce price programming fee.
Not to change the subject, but since you are on, can you hear the Mass state police and Connecticut state police from your location in Woonsocket? I remember reading somewhere, someone on here from Woonsocket said they could hear those systems from Woonsocket. I can hear the Bristol county system of Mass state PD but it is VERY scratchy and unlistenable. Ct state pd too far away. I am in Cranston and a BIG hill to my east blocks my Mass state pd reception. But if I drive to Warwick, it comes in loud and clear in the mobile.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Not to change the subject, but since you are on, can you hear the Mass state police and Connecticut state police from your location in Woonsocket?

Highly unlikely on Connecticut. Since they changed to the Phase II system, the coverage is optimized for "in state" coverage and even in Foster you lose it.

iggywfd

Not to change the subject, but since you are on, can you hear the Mass state police and Connecticut state police from your location in Woonsocket? I remember reading somewhere, someone on here from Woonsocket said they could hear those systems from Woonsocket. I can hear the Bristol county system of Mass state PD but it is VERY scratchy and unlistenable. Ct state pd too far away. I am in Cranston and a BIG hill to my east blocks my Mass state pd reception. But if I drive to Warwick, it comes in loud and clear in the mobile.
Bob, I can get MA State PD loud and clear in NRI.....CT SPD, not so much until I get near W Glocstr or East Putnam

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Bob, I can get MA State PD loud and clear in NRI.....CT SPD, not so much until I get near W Glocstr or East Putnam
I looked at map here and you must be getting the CC's from Worcester County. If I didnt have this big stupid hill to my east, I'd be able to hear the Bristol County system pretty good. Conn St PD must have a very tight system. We go out kayaking in Danielson when the weather is nice, so I am thinking of bringing my scanner just to check it out.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I can receive MA State police C, D, and H patrol in Providence pretty well
Yeah location is the big thing here, Troop D is listenable in Warwick, EG, No Kingstown.....And out up in the high elevation of western Cranston. Troop D is the only site we can recieve here. Its full scale in Warwick. I live right at bottom of Dean Estates on west side so that ruins my reception. I can hear troop D but the static is very bad. Strangely enough I can hear New Bedford police full scale! They are on P25 even. Maybe when the southeastern area of Mass state PD goes to P25 reception might be better, but their transmissions are full of noise and static here.

iggywfd

Bob,
Did you ever purchase a new scanner? and if so, where? I was wondering how customer service is at the different retailers are?

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Bob,
Did you ever purchase a new scanner? and if so, where? I was wondering how customer service is at the different retailers are?
All my scanners were purchased new in 2020. I think it was Scanner Master where I bought them. Never had to deal with customer service luckily. Unfortunately my reception of MSP has degraded to unusable now for some reason. Maybe with all the leaves sprouting, that cuts down reception. Really bugs me why it is so difficult to hear them....its all 75% static. Maybe band conditions were good when I first posted.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Don't overlook the option of the P25RX-II radio. It is much cheaper than the SDS-100 and outperforms it in my opinion. A bit of a learning curve with the programming but just like the SDS-100, once you get the hang of it, its fine. And constantly being updated and improved by the inventor, unlike the SDS-100 or the Unication which seem like they have been abandoned. Here is a short video I just made scanning RISCON, Ct State systems, and NYC and Suffolk County P25 systems all at the same time from my location in southwest Ct.
Website for the radio:

Last edited:

foodie

Premium Subscriber
Don't overlook the option of the P25RX-II radio. It is much cheaper than the SDS-100 and outperforms it in my opinion. A bit of a learning curve with the programming but just like the SDS-100, once you get the hang of it, its fine. And constantly being updated and improved by the inventor, unlike the SDS-100 or the Unication which seem like they have been abandoned. Here is a short video I just made scanning RISCON, Ct State systems, and NYC and Suffolk County P25 systems all at the same time from my location in southwest Ct.
Website for the radio:
Sounds like you are in a great spot to get such wide coverage. What antenna are you using and how high a mast?

Status
Not open for further replies.