New scanner purchase question

kb2rgz

I live in south Jersey Williamstown area. Wanted to listen to Gloucester co fire dispatch, NJSP and medivac. Also Phila police dispatch city wide. Best choice for a scanner is the Uniden Sd100 I am also looking at the pager it looks durable Unication G5 P25 VHF/700/800 Pager. Besides the need to be programmed what is the best choice for reception and clarity. Will the G5 monitor more than one service at a time.

JethrowJohnson

The Unication G5 will only monitor one system at a time, but the Uniden Bearcat SDS100 will monitor multiple systems at a time. But, from what I've heard, people who own the Unication G5 say that reception is even better than the SDS100. I don't own either one, so I don't know, but it would make sense to me since the Unications were designed for first responders, so quality should be better, although it's not as flexible as an actual scanner like the SDS100.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you want to monitor Gloucester County and State Police at the same time, you will need a SDS100 handheld or SDS200 base/mobile. Gloucester County has its own trunked system. State Police is on the NJICS statewide trunked system. You will probably want to monitor Camden County also since it is nearby. Camden County is also on its own trunked system. That's 3 separate systems. The Unication pagers can scan only one system and a single site at a time. Glouster County and Camden County law enforcement is fully encrypted and cannot be monitored by any scanner. NJ State Police is presently clear to receive.

kb2rgz

Whiskey3jmc....The system, Service this is new to me. I stopped listening when The encription started.I went into Ham radio never went back.I have upgraded my station and the only thing I can think of buying was a scanner. Didn't want to waste money on one that will not work for my area. Thanks for the info guys I think I am ready to Order now. The price on the uniden scanners is locked up tight.

markjrenna

I would get an SDS100 or 200. Then based on what you can listen to, you may want to consider a Unication G4/5 series down the road (mostly) for P25 comms.