New Scanner Question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmdoss

Premium Subscriber
I am planning on purchasing my first handheld scanner I am looking at the following scanners

PSR-300
Pro-97
BC246T
BC330T

My area is analogue so no need for digital but is 800 Mhz Truncked..

Also I looked at the manuals for these but they were not written very well IMHO...

I am wanting to some how setup different banks so we I travel to different cities I can switch to a different bank and already have my freqs in the unit ready to go....

Out of the models(or any others) listed above which one would be the best value and last me a bit.. I have read so many posts and reviews my head is spinning

Thanks for any help...

delta_p

Can't speak for the others but I can say between the bct15, bcd396, and br330t, the br330t wins hands down for non-digital application. The sensativity is greater to the extent that it picks up weak but clear signals off the same antenna (split three ways) where the 396t and bct15 just scan along like they're def.

PP

n2mdk

From your description of what you want to use the scanner for, you best bet is the BR330T if you can get one at a decent price. The other scanners only give you 10 banks to work off of. Yes the BC246T gives to the DMA memory with 200 systems that the BR330T does but you are still limited to only 10 System Quick Keys whereas in the 330 you have 99 to use to turn in and off the systems.
Last I looked Scannerworld still had some 330's in stock http://www.scannerworld.com/content/product/model/BR330T

Airdorn

bmdoss said:
My area is analogue so no need for digital but is 800 Mhz Truncked..

.............just give it time.................

and get one of those Unidens with Dynamic memory instead of that antiquated "bank" paradigm. You'll be glad you did.

Just cough-up $500 and get the BCD396T.

bmdoss

Premium Subscriber
So the BR330T is the way to go.. seems odd a discontinued scanner is preferred over newer models.. I have read this soo many places I may try to get one on ebay but if the price gets close to the BCD369T I might step up just to future proof myself... BUT man its $$$$$$$

mciupa

Database Admin
Don't trust e-bay , go with Jerri's suggestion and buy new from Scannerworld.

Great price for a great radio. :cool:

N8IAA

bmdoss said:
So the BR330T is the way to go.. seems odd a discontinued scanner is preferred over newer models.. I have read this soo many places I may try to get one on ebay but if the price gets close to the BCD369T I might step up just to future proof myself... BUT man its $$$$$$$
I agree, go with the 330. Uniden said it was because the 246 was outselling the 330. Companies do make mistakes. I truly wanted to get the 330, now I will wait to see what comes out in the next 6-12 months.
Larry

bmdoss

Premium Subscriber
Is there something to be released latter this year I should hold out for? Any rumors?

N8IAA said:
I agree, go with the 330. Uniden said it was because the 246 was outselling the 330. Companies do make mistakes. I truly wanted to get the 330, now I will wait to see what comes out in the next 6-12 months.
Larry

LEH

Premium Subscriber
bmdoss said:

The 330 met your criteria. It may be older and no longer produced, but of the ones you listed, it would seem to win hands down (I don't own one though as I have digital in the area).

Consider future proofing. The 396 may be $500, but you'll have one of the two best scanners (handheld) currently on the market.

CStarr59

I was in the same boat, 330T or the 246T and after much research I bought the 246T and the only reason was because of the BNC vs SMA antenna connection. It's no big deal, just a personal preference. So far I am highly impressed with this little jem. either one, you can't go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.