New scanner questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

WINNSBORO1

My Pro 96 has died after over 10 years of service with the front end out. No receive on 800 and very little recieve on other bands. Will need to get another scanner and wanted recommendations on whether to get one of the new Uniden scanners or get a Home Patrol, 396XT or 996XT. Are there are systems in SC, NC or Ga,where I will primarily be, that the new scanners will receive and the HP-1, 396 or 996 wont? Primarily Columbia, Rock Hill/Charlotte, Charleston, Myrtle Beach and Atlanta areas. Don't think there will be any new Phase Two systems in these areas any time soon. Will the new Uniden scanners receive Mototurbo and the Kenwood Nexedge for RR scanning? Also will they decode the tone outs for fire departments, etc? These are the type questions I need answered.

All help appreciated from those who know netter than I do. Don't want to make a big mistake.

Last edited:

lep

No presently available consumer scanners scan Mototurbo nor Kenwood Nexedge. Yes the new Uniden have Tone Outs.. the new Unidens will decode P-25 Phase 2 but the HP-1 is limited to Phase 1.

WINNSBORO1

You are still not helping me as to which scanner would be the best to purchase for my area.

lep

I answered the Questions you posed:
1. will the new Unidens received Motortubo? NO
2. will the new Unidens receive Kenwood Nexwedge? NO
3. what will the new scanner do that HP-1, 396XT, 996XT won't do? Receive P-25 Phase 2.

YOU offered the observation that Phase 2 is not needed where live/visit. I have no opinion on that prediction of future needs. If you want Phase 2, the new Unidens are the obvious choice.
If you do NOT need Phase 2, then my personal choice would be an HP-1, $379 direct from Uniden as factory refurb with guaranty.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Winnsboro 1 -

With regards to your problem with your Pro 96, it is fairly common for the BNC connector to fail after years of use. Sometimes, it's a relatively simple solder repair, and sometimes a connector replacement. And a broken connection would explain your problem.

Consider examining the BNC connector, and / or asking for the asistance of another ham in your area if you are uncomfortable with a repair (like I am). Your Pro 96 may still have some useful life left in it for monitoring purposes in S.C.

With regards to P25 phase II and N.C., the following comments (click link) were posted in the NC Forum on RR by a commenter directly involved with the buildout of NC's statewide system. He doesn't comment in the hobby forums alot, but has been very fair and honest with his advice to serious listeners of the Viper system.

http://forums.radioreference.com/no...ion-forum/281123-396xt-wait-new-bcd436hp.html

I have not seen any comments regarding moves to phase II by any systems in SC or Ga.

Last edited:

CRJohn

Uniden BCD996XT Scanner

Our systems in South Carolina can/do change and if I could afford the new Unidens, I would definitely buy it.

Mikesatter & informed scanner listeners:

Purchased the BCD996XT & had a local programmer 'friend' at Motorola program the frequencies. Only problem is I can't pick up SCHP. He said "they just don't talk much". Am looking for someone with knowledge (that wants to earn some money) re-program the scanner so I can start enjoying it. Had 2 major surgeries within 6 months & listening to the scanner is a huge part of my day.

Sure would appreciate getting pointed in the right direction. Am willing to drive within 50-60 miles.

Thanks for helping me out.

LarrySC

From my location in the upstate we receive 4 HP dispatchers. They talk so much I often have to turn off their banks. I PGM RS/GRE only, no Uniden products. Sorry I cant help you. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.