New Scanner Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdh8585

Premium Subscriber
I have used many scanners before but have been away from the hobby for a few years ever since my area went DMR. Now I'm looking to get back into it but don't really know which scanner I need.

I have looked at the Uniden SDS100 but I'm not sure if that's overkill for what I need it to do.

Areas I want to monitor:

Tennessee

Marion County (Jasper) - DMR Motorola Capacity Plus Multi Site (TRBO)
Hamilton County (Chattanooga) - Motorola Type II SmartZone
Sevier County (Sevierville) - I don't believe this one is possible?

Florida - BONUS if it will also do these!

Walton County (Santa Rosa Beach) - Encrypted I think?
Bay County (Panama City) - Motorola Type II Smartnet
Okaloosa County (Destin) - Not sure?

What is my best option for a portable radio?

N4DJC

I was in the same situation, been away from the hobby for many years. The BCD436HP was my best option, It’s easier to program that I thought and offers DMR as an upgrade. I didn’t need the software initially...it was that simple. No scanner will decode encrypted systems...

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
If you are not going to try to monitor a P25 digital simulcast system, then the 436 might suit your needs.

Or, you can go the Whistler TRX-1 route, DMR/NXDN included at no extra cost, and it covers everything.

If you think you might be monitoring a P25 digital simulcast system in your travels, the SDS100 would be the only scanner for that job.

Carefully look at the places you go and the locations and radios systems in those locales, then do the same for your routes. I would think anyone who does a lot of traveling would choose the one scanner that does it all - the Uniden SDS100 - so as not to get caught without. Just a thought...

JD
kf4anc

simmsrep

Premium Subscriber
Marion County (Jasper) - DMR Motorola Capacity Plus Multi Site (TRBO) - only 1 talkgroup encrypted
Hamilton County (Chattanooga) - Motorola Type II SmartZone - simulcast- only 1 talkgroup encrypted
Sevier County (Sevierville) - I don't believe this one is possible? - shows 3 systems, the NXDN system is all encrypted
Walton County (Santa Rosa Beach) - Encrypted I think? - law enforcement is but fire is not
Bay County (Panama City) - Motorola Type II Smartnet -simulcast but looks like everything is open
Okaloosa County (Destin) - Not sure? looks like East dist for Destin is still conventional as is north fire. South fire and Valpariso Police are on the same system as Walton County and in the clear except for Valpariso Police which is encrypted.
This is from a quick check here on RR so this is assuming that the data is up to date and correct.
I think the sds100 would be probably the best choice since there are some simulcast systems you want to monitor.

twotoejoe

I carried my 536 with the DMR upgrade up to Pigeon Forge last spring and it wouldn't shut up! I can't remember any specific agency that I received, but do remember getting Fire call after fire call on some of the outlying areas. Not familiar with the other areas, but from what has been posted the 436 may be what you need.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It's a general theme throughout this forum but simulcast will be your only obstacle. Having said that, it may not be a problem. If you search this forum, you'll find lots of discussions where some people have lots of problems with it and others have no problems even in simulcast areas.. If you think simulcast will interfere with your enjoyment, the SDS100 or 200 would be your only choices. Otherwise, there are lots available.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Walton County (Santa Rosa Beach) - Encrypted I think?
Bay County (Panama City) - Motorola Type II Smartnet
Okaloosa County (Destin) - Not sure?

I was down in this neck of the woods last October with my SDS100. I created a Favorites List of the full database and was monitoring quite a few things. I wasn't exactly sure what they were because I wasn't intimate with the area. With that said, there is a lot of encrypted stuff that no scanner will receive.

Status
Not open for further replies.