New Scanner to me, Need help with Set up.

Keithroux2022

A friend of mine passed away and left me a BCD996T Uniden Scanner Trunktracker IV and I purchased a USB 1 cable for Uniden radio to program but the cable is not picking up on the radio. Any ideas on what I need to do?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
A friend of mine passed away and left me a BCD996T Uniden Scanner Trunktracker IV and I purchased a USB 1 cable for Uniden radio to program but the cable is not picking up on the radio. Any ideas on what I need to do?
Did you purchase a brand new USB-1 cable from a dealer, or was it a used / Ebay etc. USB-1 cable? If it's a brand new cable, use the driver from Scannermaster that dave3825 linked to above. After the driver is installed, connect the cable to your computer and look in your computer's "device manager" and look for a valid COM port assigned to that cable (that can be done before connecting the cable to the scanner).

Keithroux2022

Did you purchase a brand new USB-1 cable from a dealer, or was it a used / Ebay etc. USB-1 cable? If it's a brand new cable, use the driver from Scannermaster that dave3825 linked to above. After the driver is installed, connect the cable to your computer and look in your computer's "device manager" and look for a valid COM port assigned to that cable (that can be done before connecting the cable to the scanner).
Mine is a Feanteek ftdi chip usb 1
-
Can you post a link to exactly which cable you purchased?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Mine is a Feanteek ftdi chip usb 1

That's not a genuine Uniden USB-1 cable, and hopefully it's not one of the cables that were being sold with counterfeit chips in them that no longer work.

With the cable connected to your computer, look in the Windows Device Manager under "Ports (COM and LPT)" and see if the cable has been assigned a valid COM port. Also..... what programming software are you using with the BCD996T?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Taking it a step further… Since it appears you would like to add to the original programming, (and AFTER you get a proper cable that allows the scanner to talk to the programming software on your computer), have you checked that what you intend to add is going to work on the 996T? It’s an older model that will not scan some newer systems such as the Phase 2 (P2) capable scanners. Check what additional systems the 996P2 model will recieve as compared to its previous version, your 996T. Google the 996P2 and compare the spec sheet against the 996T model. If the system you are interested in adding is one of the newer P2 systems the 996T won’t hear it. Another thing to check is if the system you would like a add is encrypted… in which case don’t bother as you won’t hear anything intelligible on ANY scanner!