New Scanner Uniden 996P2 Polk County, Cushing

Status
Not open for further replies.

wisconsinjimmy

Premium Subscriber
I will be getting my new scanner tomorrow Wed. 25 April 17, Going to be a hoot of a learning curve that being said can ya'll help me on freq for Polk, Burnett and Chisago County in MN. I did order the GPS and the cable to go from computer to scanner the antenna I am going to try and build it myself.;
My only worry is that I might have bought the wrong scanner being a Base/Mobile unit I was leaning heavily on a hand held but the price was just out of range. Should I return the 996P2 and save up for the hand held?
Thanks for listening
Jim

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
That depends on your usage. I have the 996p2 and the 325p2. I use the 996p2 for base, and the 325p2 for everything else. I don't use the GPS functionality but plugging in the GPS to a 996p2 is simple, screw in the DB-9 to the back.. For the 325 you use an adapter cable.

That being said, I am planning to get another 996p2 for my truck and will have a GPS hooked to it..

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
What I meant, was, will you be listening more in the house, or do you drive a lot? A 325 may suit better if the mix of home, and driving is pretty even. And with either, if you're only listening to a couple counties, you may not even need a GPS. If you do more driving than listening at home, or more listening at home than while in the car, a 996 on the shelf (or mounted in the car) may do what you want. It's a balancing act. Right now, I'm laid off, so my 996 at home gets all the use (and is used to stream to Broadcastify). But when I go back to work, my 325 will do most of my monitoring as it's easier to carry when I switch trucks.

wisconsinjimmy

Premium Subscriber
I may as well keep this on my original post and while watching the TV a transmission from a deputy to I guess anyone on ASTRO and this was repeated a few times I am real new to this scanning,

DPNoyes

Your new scanner

If what you are looking for is a programming table, I believe I can help you. IF my computer stops screwing up and losing data, I have a fairly complete table of frequencies and talkgroup IDs for Wisconsin. I'm in New Richmond. The wrinkle might be: I do not have the Phase 2 setup, so it's possible you may have to copy the data into whatever software you use to program your particular unit. I rarely check in here, so if you're interested, you can reach me at N0BID@ARRL.net

Doug
N0BID/9

Status
Not open for further replies.