New Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

fyrefghter746

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking to buy new/used scanner, I have an oppertunity to buy a Radio Shack PRO 2050. I'm wondering if this is a good scanner for someone such as me thats new to "trunk" and "digital" world, If not what would be a good cheap scanner for a beginner. I live in Southeast Ohio, and there is not alot of "scanner action" in this area (that I know of) Any advice would be appriciated. Thanks

captclint

Mentor
I'm looking to buy new/used scanner, I have an oppertunity to buy a Radio Shack PRO 2050. I'm wondering if this is a good scanner
Belmont County PD and Ohio MARCS - State Police are digital, so you are looking at $400-500. However, Fire EMA, and EMS are Analog, so you would be able to get them with most any newer scanner. Pro-2050 is fairly basic scanner, and does not do ReBanded systems, which the Belmont County requires. Once you decide the question of digital or Analog, we can give you more advice, but the 2050 does not seem like a good fit. If you wanted to consider Ebay used digital , the BC796D seems to be going for $250-300. It should get all the systems in your area.

Last edited:

Nasby

You would be wise to save up for a digital scanner and pass on the 2050 scanner. One option is to buy a used Radio Shack PRO-96 or PRO-2096. They are older, discontinued digital trunking scanners but they are still excellent performers and will work well in your area. I've seen them go for as low as $90.00on Ebay. The current Radio Shack digital scanners also go on sale sometimes for around $230.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.