New scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

G33IWB

Been out of the hobby for a few years and am looking at buying a new scanner. Was wondering what I need to know about the current King County (and surrounding area) System. Can I just purchase a regular old trunk tracking scanner or should it be digital?

Any Thanks

FFSOD7189

Retired Fire Lieutenant
Premium Subscriber
At this time no need for Digital. I can only speak for Uniden but the BCT15X is a good scanner for what your looking for.

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
However, it seems like everyone is going digital, you may consider future proofing yourself!

I would say that being that I am from this area and I own 5+ scanners that can do digital, don't waste your money on one, most of the stuff that is digital and there are very "very" few of them, they are for the most part encrypted.

this aint Kansas

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
Been out of the hobby for a few years and am looking at buying a new scanner. Was wondering what I need to know about the current King County (and surrounding area) System. Can I just purchase a regular old trunk tracking scanner or should it be digital?

Any Thanks
How much are you looking to spend, used scanners can be bought for a good price, how do you plan to program your new scanner, by hand or with software, for your area I would think that a PRO-163 or a 164 would work just fine for the seattle area. take small steps see what you like. then go out and spend the big bucks.

chrislxq

Premium Subscriber
Go Digital. If conditions change, you will be right and ready to listen to anything available. These days many changes are happening in radio, so why cut yourself short with an older radio.

FFSOD7189

Retired Fire Lieutenant
Premium Subscriber
For around $170.00 you can get a Uniden BCT15X and use free software like FreeScan to program your scanner.

im800mhz

Pierce/Tacoma/SS911 will be fully P25 in the future. King County is in procurement for a new P25 Phase II. WSP will be eventually be P25. I'd buy a used analog unit for now and prepare to buy a newer Phase II radio in the future.

joeuser

The Wretched
Pierce/Tacoma/SS911 will be fully P25 in the future. King County is in procurement for a new P25 Phase II. WSP will be eventually be P25. I'd buy a used analog unit for now and prepare to buy a newer Phase II radio in the future.
and there you go! Future proof now is the Uniden BCD 436 or 536 HP or waiting

scannerizer

Premium Subscriber

Any Thanks

King County is analog so you could get by with an analog scanner. However, like other US trunked systems, the King County system will also be upgraded. I own a BCD396Xt which is still available and suits me great so take your pick.

dpm3

lol, that's something I have never heard nor read that was intended to indicate we are ahead of anyone else! Actually, as a state, we do pretty well. But...

this ain't NEW YORK! :)

North central Kansas, eh? You anywhere near the "Little Apple"?

Status
Not open for further replies.