New scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

italia2006

Premium Subscriber
Just trying to get opinions on getting new scanner. My Whistler 1080 is great, just itching to get newer technology. Usually listen to Hartford,Newington,wethersfield, Berlin,cromwell, glastonbury.

WB9YBM

Just trying to get opinions on getting new scanner. My Whistler 1080 is great, just itching to get newer technology. Usually listen to Hartford,Newington,wethersfield, Berlin,cromwell, glastonbury.

I've had good luck with Bearcat / Uniden, as well as having heard a lot of positive comments on that brand from others...

unwinr

I receive all those (minus Glastonbury, not programmed) plus all CSP troops except D loud and clear in Central Ct with a Uniden 996P2. In my location I have no simulcast issues. Your location may produce different results.

I live in Middletown and own the 996XT, 996P2 and SDS 200.

The 996P2 receives better than the SDS 200 and I don't have any issues with Simulcast here.

I receive all CSP troops, though it depends on which radios are affiliated at the time.

Usually listen to Hartford,Newington,wethersfield, Berlin,cromwell, glastonbury.

You'll have no problems with the 996P2. Great scanner!

WA1QWH

As far as the P25 systems, I found that my Home Patrol 2 misses about 10% of the traffic that my SDS200 hears. Primarily listening to CLMRN and Wethersfield PD/fire.

cg

Premium Subscriber
With the 996P2, you need a strong, clear signal for simulcast P25 Phase 2 (CLMRN). When it works, it works very well. However, if there is any simulcast distortion, the Phase 2 will shut right up (which is the majority of CLMRN traffic). The SDS200 is a decent radio, a bit more complicated to use, but overall decent. Some reports of conventional performance not being equal to the 996 line of radios.
Unless you monitor a more complex system like CLMRN with something like DSDPlus, you often don't know what is being missed.

chris

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
With the 996P2, you need a strong, clear signal for simulcast P25 Phase 2 (CLMRN). When it works, it works very well. However, if there is any simulcast distortion, the Phase 2 will shut right up (which is the majority of CLMRN traffic). The SDS200 is a decent radio, a bit more complicated to use, but overall decent. Some reports of conventional performance not being equal to the 996 line of radios.
Unless you monitor a more complex system like CLMRN with something like DSDPlus, you often don't know what is being missed.

chris

Agreed I miss about 10 percent also on Home Patrol 2 listening to Bloomfield. I use op25 for Bloomfield /CLMRN and it shows me what I am missing. SDS-100 is a fine radio but I agree the SDS Line the conventional analog not as good as the old Uniden Scanners.

How do I find post number
It's in the upper right corner of the post.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
With the 996P2, you need a strong, clear signal for simulcast.....
...from only one antenna unless you have an SDS scanner.

Uniden's SDS series is the most versatile. While they do have a fairly steep learning curve, you can almost "future-proof" your listening and they'll pick up practically everything but encrypted and cell phones.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Also, I assumed you would be using it for home use. In the vehicle, the 996 series is tough to beat EXCEPT for the Phase 2 trunking. The 536 and SDS200 are too prone to having issue when turned on and off by the ignition as you can corrupt the memory card.

chris

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Also, I assumed you would be using it for home use. In the vehicle, the 996 series is tough to beat EXCEPT for the Phase 2 trunking. The 536 and SDS200 are too prone to having issue when turned on and off by the ignition as you can corrupt the memory card.

chris
SD card corruption only occurs if you're recording when the scanner loses power. Otherwise, the scanner reads the card when the unit is turned on and writes to the card when it's turned off. If power is lost without turning the scanner off, it will simply use the same information as when it was last turned on.

it looks like someone else may have said something about it earlier...

See post #8

Status
Not open for further replies.